What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on the New MS Surface

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like my iPad (at least for now), but...

If MS can produce a produce that approximates the form factor of the iPad, has a digitized stylus, a couple USB ports, a SD card slot, runs my legacy programs and Office on WIN8 and I can actually see the file structure I would turn my iPad into a very stylish cheese platter.

Don't get me wrong I really like my iPad but almost every thing I want to do is a workaround. Play movies--got to convert. Load my GPS -- can't. Store files where I want them -- can't. Use the programs I use every day on my PC -- can't.

Well enough sour grapes. I take my iPad everywhere I go and use it every day. Very often I have thoughts about going back to my ten year old HP tc1100 tablet.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I quite like the look of the surface tablet and the idea of the cover being the keyboard as long as it has a screen keyboard too. At the end of the day the hardware will be sound like most tablets. Weather windows 8 is any good I have no idea. Ios5 is basically what makes the iPad so great. That and the new retina lol

Sent from my iPad 3

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can't sell your tablet now, the future will see you not just competing on tablet features, but having to supply a compelling reason for people to abandon their investment in Apple's and/or Android's entire ecosystem.

I try to think in advance to give myself options as a consumer. That's why I don't buy iBooks, for instance. I don't want my library tied to any one manufacturer's hardware. I also limit purchases of accessories that are iPad-specific, so the stands, speakers, etc., that I buy can all be used with other tablets.

I'm not wedded to iOS, Android or Windows, though I use them all. If any company can make products that better serve me, I welcome it. As a consumer, I'm loyal only to me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a good policy, but not always possible; depending on what you do.

For instance, a professional will often need to invest in pro software that will be hard to replace on another platform. iOS is not quite as critical for this, given that most software is more than affordable; but there is some app tie in and not all of it is avoidable.

And then there is the mental obstacle of having to learn to use new devices and software. For some people this is a hassle. Others consider it fun. Mainstream adopters tend towards the first. Yes, this is a really big brush to paint with, but when you are talking about marketing it's the only brush that matters. Every person's choice is unique, but the market is still a big amorphous blob of tendencies.

Hold in mind I'm talking about hinderances. Coming late to the market is a disadvantage, like being behind in the second half. You can still win if you work harder or get lucky. Microsoft has demonstrated the ability to play the long game int he past, and they may very well do it again.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a good policy, but not always possible; depending on what you do.

For instance, a professional will often need to invest in pro software that will be hard to replace on another platform. iOS is not quite as critical for this, given that most software is more than affordable; but there is some app tie in and not all of it is avoidable.

And then there is the mental obstacle of having to learn to use new devices and software. For some people this is a hassle. Others consider it fun. Mainstream adopters tend towards the first. Yes, this is a really big brush to paint with, but when you are talking about marketing it's the only brush that matters. Every person's choice is unique, but the market is still a big amorphous blob of tendencies.

Hold in mind I'm talking about hinderances. Coming late to the market is a disadvantage, like being behind in the second half. You can still win if you work harder or get lucky. Microsoft has demonstrated the ability to play the long game int he past, and they may very well do it again.

Agreed on limitations. Every consumer must look out for himself.

I buy iPad chargers, for instance, because I actually want to use my devices conveniently, lol.

Pro software is something my company buys or compensates for, so it's not a consideration for me.

As for learning curve, I'd imagine if I couldn't reasonably learn a new device or OS, it would have limited chances of success in the marketplace anyway.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen the ms surface presentation on youtube and am surprised that from a hardware point of view ms did make a sleek device on their own, looks like they have learned thier lessons from the windows phone where they relied on nokia/samsung and others for hardware. But as seadog mentioned, no 3g, that will not be good in the market place from a mobility point of view, this shows the flaw MS have that apple dont have. Apple started thier ipad project first and steve jobs shelved it and started the iphone project and then back to ipad that became the ipad 1. I have to say as far as key boards go, it was the best design, lot of effort and engineering went into it, but how will it compete with siri as it gets better in ios6. Then the issue of apps for the windows tablet, apple have the most vibrant eco system, how can ms compete with that? Then there is the store issue, apple stores are great places, and i know this when i see apple products in other retailers like, currys, dixons, pc world, best buy, the feeling and the staff competence is not the same. And microsoft have to use these mundane places to sell their hardware to compete with apple. Also lets not forget, apple have spoiled us with their smooth keynote presentations, when i saw the microsoft presentation, it looked and felt nervous.

I will check out the ms surface when it comes out, but as good as it is for a ms product, it is no ipad killer

RIP Steve Jobs 

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen the ms surface presentation on youtube and am surprised that from a hardware point of view ms did make a sleek device on their own, looks like they have learned thier lessons from the windows phone where they relied on nokia/samsung and others for hardware. But as seadog mentioned, no 3g, that will not be good in the market place from a mobility point of view, this shows the flaw MS have that apple dont have. Apple started thier ipad project first and steve jobs shelved it and started the iphone project and then back to ipad that became the ipad 1. I have to say as far as key boards go, it was the best design, lot of effort and engineering went into it, but how will it compete with siri as it gets better in ios6. Then the issue of apps for the windows tablet, apple have the most vibrant eco system, how can ms compete with that? Then there is the store issue, apple stores are great places, and i know this when i see apple products in other retailers like, currys, dixons, pc world, best buy, the feeling and the staff competence is not the same. And microsoft have to use these mundane places to sell their hardware to compete with apple. Also lets not forget, apple have spoiled us with their smooth keynote presentations, when i saw the microsoft presentation, it looked and felt nervous.

I will check out the ms surface when it comes out, but as good as it is for a ms product, it is no ipad killer

RIP Steve Jobs 

Have you seen the Microsoft stores? They took Apple's tack and are glossy and open. The mall near one of my houses has both an Apple store and a Microsoft store.

I avoid the mall, unless forced to go, though. I buy my computers online.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We dont have a microsoft store in UK, definately not in london. No i havent seen any microsoft store anywhere, but i will google for pictures now lol. What would they sell anyways, they havent got much hardware to warrant a store, and i bet its more a knee jerk reaction to apple stores which has soul and has purpose.

Few weeks ago i was at an auction that sold apple products, the man said app,e stores takes in £35,000 an hour. I dont know if its true or not but i do know it is possible. I took the video and here is the link [video=dailymotion;xqszye]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqszye_mac-book-pro_tech[/video]

RIP Steve Jobs 

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We dont have a microsoft store in UK, definately not in london. No i havent seen any microsoft store anywhere, but i will google for pictures now lol. What would they sell anyways, they havent got much hardware to warrant a store, and i bet its more a knee jerk reaction to apple stores which has soul and has purpose.

RIP Steve Jobs 

Microsoft Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't generally find soul at malls, lol.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how profitable the microsoft stores are, and from the wiki leak link it seems there is none outside the US.

RIP Steve Jobs 

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how profitable the microsoft stores are, and from the wiki leak link it seems there is none outside the US.

RIP Steve Jobs 

I doubt the profits are significant. Apple is much better at leveraging profits from stores.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just finished reading the new your article on apple stores, amazing reporting

RIP Steve Jobs 

Most reactions