What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on New iPad?

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple announced a new iPad this morning starting at $329. It's a successor to the Air 2 which is now discontinued and has an A9 chip and is a little bit thicker... thoughts?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Apple is positioning this iPad as an updated entry level iPad, one step down from the two iPad Pro models.

OP
metalcyclone

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think Apple is positioning this iPad as an updated entry level iPad, one step down from the two iPad Pro models.
I agree... There's something intriguing about that to me though. Sometimes for me and I'm sure for a lot of people out there the extra size and horsepower of the iPad pro aren't really necessary like if you just want to browse the web or read an ebook. I can see this iPad appealing to a lot of people especially at such a low price point for a full size tablet. I'm interested, but still debating between this and the 10.5" rumored Pro. Price will be a factor but not a major one as I've been saving for the 10.5" in anticipation... The real question for me is going to be: do I want a slightly larger screen or a slightly smaller one and is the 10.5" pro worth the extra cash that could go to acessories, extra storage or whatever else comes up.

I'm also curious how that A9 chip will hold up in a tablet when it was originally designed for a phone and how much RAM each tablet will have. I'm a big fan of thin tablets too so whichever one is thinner will be a plus in its favor and we already know that the new iPad is 7.5mm unfortunately. I wish they had given it a new design instead of making it so similar to the Airs but oh well...

Hopefully these questions and more will all be answered soon enough...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I notice it's now called just the iPad, with nothing else added, such as the previous Air 2 designation.

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Macworld don't seem to be too impressed with the spec of the new iPad. It's supposedly got a faster chip than the Air2 but is thicker so presumably it's also heavier. I'm in the market to upgrade my iPad3 but not sure if this new model is really better than the Air2? I'd like the small iPad Pro but it's a bit spendy. It's at times like this I wish I had a crystal ball to see what Apple are planning! :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Macworld don't seem to be too impressed with the spec of the new iPad. It's supposedly got a faster chip than the Air2 but is thicker so presumably it's also heavier. I'm in the market to upgrade my iPad3 but not sure if this new model is really better than the Air2? I'd like the small iPad Pro but it's a bit spendy. It's at times like this I wish I had a crystal ball to see what Apple are planning! :)
If the extra thickness is due to a larger battery it would be worth the slight increase in thickness.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I notice it's now called just the iPad, with nothing else added, such as the previous Air 2 designation.

Well owning the iPad Air 2 at the moment, I'm not impressed w/ this 'new' release and hope for others in the Pro line to be announced - below a chart from HERE - as already mentioned, a next generation chipset w/ a slightly larger battery that will unlikely provide a 'substantial' increased run time although making the device somewhat thicker (SO, need for yet a new case?) - interesting, the RAM on the new device is given an eponym 'TBC' - why can't Apple state whether the same old 2 GB vs. say 4 GB?

NOW, for those w/ an older iPad, this would be a recommended upgrade to consider - I've really enjoyed my iPad Air 2 and this new release is a slight improvement (and still has the 3.5 mm headphone jack, if of importance) - but, I strongly suggest that if you want this model, then purchase the one w/ 128 GB storage (64 GB seems not to be a choice and 32 GB is just 'obsolete' in my mind). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 6.26.42 PM.png

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not much of an improvement over the Air 2. Seems like a move sideways if anything.

Agreed, unless the A9 chip is a vast improvement for the platform. I did read somewhere else and exactly where escapes me, that the new iPad would still be a 2gb device but time will tell.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The main feature is the reduction in price, including educational market pricing. You can now get a pretty good new iPad for cheaper than before.

As for the name, now that there is little physical difference between 9.7" iPad models, the Air suffix make little sense. So, like the MacBook Air line, iPad Air is being phased out. At least until there is some new model that is significantly airier than the base model.

I don't think this is the end of the iPad announcements for this year. Instead, it hints that there are enough newer exciting (in Apple's view) things to annouce that they don't want to waste event time talking about the new basic iPad model.

That's just speculation on my part, of course.

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did notice the pricing of the new iPad, good point. Maybe the next iPad series will be based on the A10 chip?

I have to admit that my current 128gb Air2 does everything I ask it to do but.....

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hhm, unless the new processor uses more power I'd expect the battery to last a bit longer than the Air2?

Red would have been a nice option ...

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The available color schemes are a bit uninspired but maybe Apple assumes most of us use some kind of case so the color selections aren't that important. Just now I had to look to see what color mine was as it's been that long. Gold btw.

Most reactions