What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thought I'd try whasapp

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's an iPhone app. Although there were ways to install the app on an iPad, this was not possble without an iPhone as well. iOS 8 made installing WhatsApp on an iPad impossible, it seems. The only option to get it to your device would be to jailbreak your iPad, which is also not possible if you're running iOS 8.1.3, 8.2 or 8.3.

Last edited:
OP
I

islandman

It's an iPhone app. Although there were ways to install the app on an iPad, this was not possble without an iPhone as well. iOS 8 made installing WhatsApp on an iPad impossible, it seems. The only option to get it to your device would be to jailbreak your iPad, which is also not possible if you're running iOS 8.1.3, 8.2 or 8.3.

Thanks for that explanation. What will keep me awake now is " why not" , if an iPhone can access it, why not the iPad, and what is so special about it, not only that, what has the iPad got that is as good.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only answer is - it's because the iPad is not a phone. Yes, it has cellular capability, but it's not a phone. And, the developers of the app built the app to work only on a phone, not a tablet. As far as I remember, the developers have no intentions of porting or re-designing the app to make it work on the iPad.

Sorry, but some apps only work on the iPhone (or a phone) because of the very nature (hardware and software) of it being a phone.

Marilyn

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Above 8.ios version no jailbreak it good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just been told about WhatsApp, that's the good news. The bad news is, Just discovered it isn't for iPad, unless you know different.
OH, I am SO glad you did it before me this time! I'm usually the one who's typing " UH-OH ".

Most reactions