What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought I lost the jailbreak

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently purchased an iPhone 5c. This was the first iPhone for me. Last night I was doing something on iTunes for my phone (on my PC). This morning, at zero-dark thirty, I picked up my jailbroken ipad2 and noticed that I could not adjust the brightness with my pull-down app, nor could I access Cydia nor any of the apps, like Barrel and such. The first thing that I thought was that iTunes had automatically reset my ipad2, which would have p1$$ed me off. I checked my iOS version and it still showed 5.1.1, which still confused me more. So I powered it down and after it started back up, everything was back to normal. It was still jailbroken. Yea!!!

I have never had this happen before, and I have had this iPad jailbroken since the beginning of 2012. Do you think iTunes had anything to do with this? Is there anything I should be doing regularly with my iPad to prevent something like this from happening again? Should I be backing it up to iTunes even if it is jailbroken? Don't want to sound ignorant. Thanks.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jailbroken devices have to be maintained or they can get "stale" if you can call it that. Periodically performing a hard reset by holding the power and home buttons together does wonders when it comes to software issues and to refresh your device. As long as you have Cydia Substrate, Substrate Safe Mode (included with Cydia Substrate), Afc2add, MobileTerminal, OpenSSH and ILEX RAT (optional) installed on your device, you have a baseline to work with in terms of troubleshooting your device. You can't 100% put a problem aside completely on a jailbroken device because you have to maintain it, and other issues may more than likely take its place

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jailbroken devices have to be maintained or they can get "stale" if you can call it that. Periodically performing a hard reset by holding the power and home buttons together does wonders when it comes to software issues and to refresh your device. As long as you have Cydia Substrate, Substrate Safe Mode (included with Cydia Substrate), Afc2add, MobileTerminal, OpenSSH and ILEX RAT (optional) installed on your device, you have a baseline to work with in terms of troubleshooting your device. You can't 100% put a problem aside completely on a jailbroken device because you have to maintain it, and other issues may more than likely take its place

Hello my dear willerz2,

Sorry that I need to ask question about this 'a hard reset by holding the power and home buttons together', as it is over my head.
. How long do we have to hold the power and home together ?
. What the iPad would react to that ? I mean is how the ipad would boot up normally again, any action needed be taken?
. This sound like putting the iPad into DFU mode, isn't it?

Thanks

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) It usually takes about 10 seconds? Press and hold them both simultaneously. If you see your screen flash, then you just made a screen capture, and you'll have to release both buttons and retry (it may take 1-2 tries if you've never done it before or if your timing is a little off). But it takes about 10-12 seconds before you see the Apple logo again. That's a hard reset, which resolves many if not most software issues.

2) When you turn the device off normally by holding the power button and sliding, it's like a computer going into Hibernate. The OS will make a log of where you left off, and when you boot up, it will read that old "save file". When you perform a hard reset, your computer does not write any saved states to memory, so you're rebooting fresh. If you have an issue and you simply turn it off, your issue will more than likely be written to memory, and on your next boot up, it will write out that memory again, so you just saved and opened up the issue essentially, which is why a hard reset resolves many software issues, or if your screen freezes for example. A normal hold of the power button may not turn it off, so you'd need a hard reset.

3) Not exactly. In DFU mode, once the screen turns dark, you release the power button but keep holding the home button. In a hard reset, you hold both and release both at the same time. The boot trigger is different.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.
My jailbroken iPad1 has not given me any problem at all after so many years. But will keep this tip in mind as someday it may call for it.

Thanks again,

Most reactions