What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those dreaded tabs along the top, how do I remove them?

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can turn the tab bar off in Settings > Safari > Show Tab Bar. The tabs will still pile up but you won't be able to see them unless you pinch-to-zoom out or tap the pages icon in the upper right corner of Safari.

As far as I know there is no way to close multiple tabs simultaneously in iOS.

OP
I

islandman

Thanks for that, but it my understanding that if they are left unclosed, they can slow things down as they occupy bandwidth, that is one of the reasons I ask.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you clear history and website data in Settings - Safari, all the tabs will be closed at once.

OP
I

islandman

Thanks to JA I have done what I wanted, in as much as I have changed the settings from "show tab bar" so it is not showing now. I didn't have use for it, it took up a small proportion of screen, and by viewing it day after day, acted as an irritant. Now hopefully I will forget it was ever there. Hoo flipping ray.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some unnecessary extra information and ideas.

Different people use tabs in different ways, but here's the most useful thing I use them for; following links without having to leave the original page.

Whether in an article or a page of search results you can tap-hold on a link so that it opens in a new tab. When you are done with that tab you close it, and you're back in the main article. You can even go two or three links deep if you like. It's very handy for search results, and make satisfying your curiosity about a link in an article painless.

Another use is to create a new tab to search for something without closing the page you are on. Maybe it's word or reference you don't know. Tap the plus icon and do a search. When you've found the vital piece of info the original page is still there.

The habit that makes tabs both useful and manageable is to close them immediately when you no longer need them. Don't let them pile up. If you're done with that site, close it. You can do this two ways. Go to the grid view of tabs by either tapping on the double page icon, or pinching the main screen, then swiping the thumbnails to the left (or tapping the (x) in the upper left corner.

Or you can tap the (x) that appears on a tab when it's in front (the page your are viewing): If you have the tab bar set to show.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but it my understanding that if they are left unclosed, they can slow things down as they occupy bandwidth, that is one of the reasons I ask.
I feel the need to ask, why are you allowing the tabs to pile up? Is there something that you're doing that causes new tabs to be opened every time you tap a link? I wonder if it would be advantageous for you to rethink your habits and perhaps make some changes - this helped me a great deal and allowed me to save some time and effort. We all need to change things from time to time, maybe this is your time :)

Most reactions

Latest posts