What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Year's New iPad mini is Said to be Capable of Supporting Split-screen Apps

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
faster ipad mini.png

We know that iOS 9's split-screen feature is coming to the iPad Air 2, but now according to fresh information coming form 9to5Mac, it seems that the upcoming new iPad mini could be getting the feature, as well.

Developer Hamza Sood found proof in OS X El Capitan in the form a resource file. The file has been from within the upcoming platform's Safari browser and as you can see from the above image, it makes it clear that an iPad mini will get the "half screen" capability.

Furthermore, the developer also found a tool that can simulate different Apple devices to allow devs to test the responsiveness of their websites, as well. Here are some more details:

"The resource file shown above from the upcoming OS X El Capitan’s Safari 9 browser shows support for a split-screen view of Safari on the iPad mini. Additionally, a developer tool in El Capitan for testing the responsiveness of website designs allows developers to simulate an iPad mini 3 (which does not support split-view) running Safari in a split-view mode. With both the testing capabilities and settings image present in the upcoming version of Safari, we believe that the functionality is coming in a future iPad mini update."

Apple is expected to be releasing a new iPad mini on September 9th, so that's when we will know for sure if the smaller iPad is indeed going to get this really useful feature.

Source: 9to5Mac

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be more surprised if the latest version of iPads coming out this fall didn't have that feature.

Well I will probably be upgrading to Air 3 if they are released so hopefully they do, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions