What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This This may have been asked before but I couldn't find it.

Wistful_Dreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a good chance this question has been asked before (I couldn't find it), but I'm very new to the iPad and really need assistance. I've also tried to find my answers online, but of course everyone has an opinion. I've called iTunes customer service twice and they were equally inept in helping me.

I was planning this weekend to purchase the iPad 2 at the local Apple store but a few things stopped me. I started a secondary checking account so I could use my debit card (I didn't want to use my main one). My questions are: 1) If I use this debit card and for some reason I go over, will it stop the transaction or will I be billed? I worry about hackers also. 2) Is there a way to remove the debit card from the account after making purchases and just add it for each purchase? 3) Is there password protection for purchases? I've heard of problems with this also - that sometimes it doesn't work. This would be my deciding factor in buying one.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iTunes account is required and it must be attached to either a credit card, or as you mention debit card.

Unless I missed something there has never been a case where credit card or debit card, or any personal information stored by Apple has ever been compromised. I have a high level of confidence this will remain the case going forward.

In regards to insufficient funds being available at the time of an iTunes or App store purchase it is my understanding real time authorization is obtained when the transaction is attempted. I would presume if funds were not available the transaction would be refused.

If you have concerns open the account with your secondary debit card attached to a low balance account just to get the iTunes account active then purchase iTunes gift cards available in almost all major stores and redeem them through your iTunes account effectively eliminating any need for Apple to access your funds attached to the debit card until your gift card runs out. You can track available balance on any redeemed iTunes gift card by accessing your account details via the app store or iTunes. Gift card funds can be used in either/both the app store or iTunes storefronts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And yes password is required when purchasing items on the iTunes or app store.

There is also a general setting on the iPad where purchases can be disabled effectively requiring two passwords to make a purchase. One to re-enable purchases, the second your iTunes password.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible to set up an iTunes account without a debit or credit card. You can set it up and use iTunes gift cards (real or electronic) to give yourself a positive balance. That means you can limit the total that can be stolen in the event your account is compromised.

Ironically, there have actually been more problems with iTunes balances being stolen than false credit or debit card charges.

As far as wether a debit card can be overdrawn, that is determined by your bank. You'd have to ask them, though most debit accounts can not be overdrawn. The payment fails to get authorized.

Creating an iTunes App Store account without a credit card

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been reports of compromised credit card and gift cards via iTunes, but details are limited because Apple keeps them under wraps.

I opted to delete my credit card info and use iTunes gift cards, to limit how much could be pilfered if my account were compromised. It works without a hitch, other than needing to load a new gift card when the current has been tapped out.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I set up my iTunes account without a credit, debit or gift card. I'm in Australia and we don't have to attach a card of any sort to get started. I have since just redeemed gift cards. I'd like to know why this isn't available in all countries?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
W

Wistful_Dreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But isn't the card still on file if you switch over to a gift card? I heard when that balance on the gift card is used up, it defaults to the credit card. Also if someone in my family uses the iPad, are they able to see the credit card information?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wistful_Dreamer said:
But isn't the card still on file if you switch over to a gift card? I heard when that balance on the gift card is used up, it defaults to the credit card. Also if someone in my family uses the iPad, are they able to see the credit card information?

If you read the posts above, you will see that you don't need to use a debit or credit card.

The Archangel

OP
W

Wistful_Dreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I called iTunes last week, the guy on the phone said that you had to have a default credit or debit card on file. I'm sorry I'm being obsessive. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wistful_Dreamer said:
When I called iTunes last week, the guy on the phone said that you had to have a default credit or debit card on file. I'm sorry I'm being obsessive. Thanks for your help!

He was wrong, I don't have a credit or debit card attached to it and never have!!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wistful_Dreamer said:
I'm in the U.S. I wonder if it's set up different.

Yes probably is, but even there you can just have an iTunes card!

Most reactions

Latest posts