What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This just shut me up about flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read these repeating arguments and my gut reaction is,
So?........I plain don't care......am I the only one?

If theres a serious video in flash I need to watch I either download it to watch or make the supreme effort of walking to my desktop.
This I can happily live with along with the fact my iPad can't make coffee either.

Still in the words of the first world war cartoonist "If you know of a better [tablet] go to it".

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But that's the point, you shouldn't need to go to your desktop to view a web page or video. You should need your desktop for heavy computing, viewing a damn website should not require multiple devices.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
I found this website from another member's post, read it, and it stopped me from complaining about flash ever again.

Thoughts on Flash

The fact remains, that the iPad cannot access a lot of web sites that I need to because of the lack of Flash.

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mahoneyr... An eloquent dose of reality for the apologizers. My iPad is my first Apple. Product. On Windows I maintain good virus software, I have NEVER had a virus related issue. flash or other wise. So away goes that argument. I have a Droid phone. I can set Flash to be on always, never, or "on demand". away goes your battery argument AND I have MY choices on what I need to do, not Apples. flash is not the best, html5 is better is just pure deflection from the REAL issue. MANY web sites use Flash, just a fact and not an Apple hating argument. I am a road warrior. The 2 sites I need most to operate my business are Flash driven. Arrrrrrrg! I thought I could leave my laptop behind more often. Now if I make that choice I have to work on my much tinier Droid screen

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excellent example. Thank you. Or are you under the impression that proof of NAMBLA's actual intent is even marginally difficult to find?

I'm sorry, is that what you meant in your previous post? Because I took your statement at face value. Or are you under the impression that proof of Apple's actual intent is even marginally difficult to find?

You can't have it both ways. You either accept all the cans of worms have worms in them and leave them closed, or you open them all to take a confirming peek and then - worms everywhere. Anything else is willful blindness.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am sorry I made the statement. Not because I feel I am wrong, but because if I'd taken a moment to consider I'd have known it would just start another pointless un-winnable argument, if any argument in a forum is ultimately winnable. And my tone was bound to strike the nerve of at least one person. I apologize for that, if not the substance of my statement.

So, resisting the urge to defend my statement further, I'm going to let it drop. It ain't easy. I'm naturally argumentative.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is hilarious is that Apple cites that video is available in h.264 format using HTML5, yet they don't tell you that h.264 is a proprietary format that is NOT the universal standard for HTML5 video (as there is none at this point) and that major players are dropping their native support for it in browsers. Apple is one of the major players that is supporting h.264. So at this point, there are potentially going to be a large segment of videos using HTML5 that Apple devices simply will not be able to play. Youtube for example will most likely go the WebM route, as that is the format that Google is championing. Every major desktop browser is set to support this format in a couple of years. WebM is a open format that is free. h.264 is owned by the ISO Moving Picture Experts Group and you have to license the technology and pay fees to use it.

Basically, everyone who is saying that HTML5 is the future is talking out of their @SS at this point, because there are zero set video standards and zero certainty that a single video standard will exist at all when HTML5 is official. Until a standard is set, its a fragmented mess of a standard that is NOT a valid replacement for flash.

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Basically, everyone who is saying that HTML5 is the future is talking out of their @SS at this point, because there are zero set video standards and zero certainty that a single video standard will exist at all when HTML5 is official. Until a standard is set, its a fragmented mess of a standard that is NOT a valid replacement for flash.

This has long been the chief argument against Apple's stance - they favor HTML5, but it's years from being standardized and ready to be used as the sole interface to the internet. It's like building electric cars in the hope charging stations will be there for your customers. That some customers were willing to buy the cars and hope for the best doesn't make it a sound philosophy.

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i read these repeating arguments and my gut reaction is,
so?........i plain don't care......am i the only one?

If theres a serious video in flash i need to watch i either download it to watch or make the supreme effort of walking to my desktop.
This i can happily live with along with the fact my ipad can't make coffee either.

Still in the words of the first world war cartoonist "if you know of a better [tablet] go to it".

xoom

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still in the words of the first world war cartoonist "If you know of a better [tablet] go to it".

This is the road to a better tablet - if I were an Apple competitor, I'd watch these forums to see what existing customers like and don't like. The Ford Model T was as popular a car for much the same reason the iPad is a popular tablet - it was the first example to deliver effectively on the potential of the concept to the public. It wasn't, however, the best car made at the time, and neither is the iPad the best tablet possible. (Thinking on it, there was even something similar to the attitudes of the CEOs, with Ford's "you can have any color you want as long as it's black" line.)

Right now, the greatest improvement I can imagine would be the exact same hardware running a similar operating system, but freed completely from anything to do with Apple, Inc. - no iTunes, no App Store, no Steve.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:

If theres a serious video in flash I need to watch I either download it to watch or make the supreme effort of walking to my desktop.
This I can happily live with along with the fact my iPad can't make coffee either.

This!

I just laugh at these pages (don't even know why I read this one, boredom?). I think to myself, why the complaints and arguments, it's never been a secret that the iPad doesn't and wont have flash...yet they bought it anyway and see fit to complain it's not there .... Makes no sense.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The title of this thread is, "This just shut me up about flash."

Oh, if that was only true!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:

This!

I just laugh at these pages (don't even know why I read this one, boredom?). I think to myself, why the complaints and arguments, it's never been a secret that the iPad doesn't and wont have flash...yet they bought it anyway and see fit to complain it's not there .... Makes no sense.

Maybe, just maybe every single iPad owner didn't research on the Internet before they bought it, ever thought about that?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:

This!

Maybe, just maybe every single iPad owner didn't research on the Internet before they bought it, ever thought about that?

Well ~ that's their bad. I had NO clue what the hell Flash was. But I knew before I spent $900 ~ I sure the hell was gonna find out exactly if the iPad would do what I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts