This just shut me up about flash.

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by graywolf, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    For another interesting read, I found this guy's article to be very informative and quite fair in comparing the two technologies: The Flash vs. HTML5 Endgame | VisionMobile :: blog

While I agree that with the two headed monster of Google and Apple pushing HTML5 in a big way it is almost inevitable that the future belongs to the new technology, it should be clear that this is still a LONG way off. In case people don't know, the final HTML5 spec won't be finalized until the year 2022. There are still a ton of issues to be ironed out before HTML5 will replace Flash. Let's see .. year 2022. I guess that means we will have full web access with iOS when the iPad 12 is in our hands.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I would like to point out that when I posted that link it was to explain why Apple would not be supporting Flash. Not as a definitive argument against Flash. This is just Apple's [Steve Jobs] take on it.

Unless something happens to change Apple's point of view, there will be no Flash on iPads.

As for speculation on why Apple does this or that, I prefer to take statements at face value until I have proof otherwise, even celebrities and CEOs.

3. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    So when NAMBLA says they're all about fostering healthy bonds between grown men and underage boys, you're not looking for an ulterior motive, right? Cool.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Excellent example. Thank you. Or are you under the impression that proof of NAMBLA's actual intent is even marginally difficult to find?

5. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I love how everyone on this site seems to be riding the HTML5 bandwagon and in some ways, I guess that's ok. We are all alive and enjoying the internet RIGHT NOW, and RIGHT NOW Adobe Flash is responsible for the VAST majority of multimedia rich interactive content on the web. If one day HTML5 completely obliterates Flash, fine, I will be happy either way really.

My complaint about Flash on the iPad is because I like using the Internet RIGHT now, I don't care what format will be used in the future, I want it NOW. Right NOW the iPad can't offer the whole Internet, other devices can.

6. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I read these repeating arguments and my gut reaction is,
    So?........I plain don't care......am I the only one?

If theres a serious video in flash I need to watch I either download it to watch or make the supreme effort of walking to my desktop.
    This I can happily live with along with the fact my iPad can't make coffee either.

Still in the words of the first world war cartoonist "If you know of a better [tablet] go to it".

7. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    But that's the point, you shouldn't need to go to your desktop to view a web page or video. You should need your desktop for heavy computing, viewing a damn website should not require multiple devices.

8. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The fact remains, that the iPad cannot access a lot of web sites that I need to because of the lack of Flash.

9. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Mahoneyr... An eloquent dose of reality for the apologizers. My iPad is my first Apple. Product. On Windows I maintain good virus software, I have NEVER had a virus related issue. flash or other wise. So away goes that argument. I have a Droid phone. I can set Flash to be on always, never, or "on demand". away goes your battery argument AND I have MY choices on what I need to do, not Apples. flash is not the best, html5 is better is just pure deflection from the REAL issue. MANY web sites use Flash, just a fact and not an Apple hating argument. I am a road warrior. The 2 sites I need most to operate my business are Flash driven. Arrrrrrrg! I thought I could leave my laptop behind more often. Now if I make that choice I have to work on my much tinier Droid screen

10. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry, is that what you meant in your previous post? Because I took your statement at face value. Or are you under the impression that proof of Apple's actual intent is even marginally difficult to find?

You can't have it both ways. You either accept all the cans of worms have worms in them and leave them closed, or you open them all to take a confirming peek and then - worms everywhere. Anything else is willful blindness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.