What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This just shut me up about flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope you feel better soon. And the link works. It will redirect you a couple of times though. That might be your problem.

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The article is from Apple. It is just the same excusses they have used forever to hide why they do not want to do what nearly every other platform can do

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope you feel better soon. And the link works. It will redirect you a couple of times though. That might be your problem.

Hmm... I tried it a couple times. Even stripped the redirect and reference off and tried the apple URL. Oh well.

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry chuck norris. Google it maybe. As for funn4lo, steve provides legitimate responses to my burning questions; why not have flash? They would make so much more money. His response: flash is outdated, and the biggest things people would need it for is YouTube and there is a special YouTube website that doesn't have flash and there is an app. Also flash is a HUGE security hole which is the downfall of 90% of windows computers and is one of the only ways, dare i say it, that a Mac can get a virus. Html5 is the new way to go.

mahoneyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting, but not a complete answer

This article explains well why an entire operating system should not rely on Flash. It does not as effectively argue why you can't support Flash as one part of your operating system.

1. It's "proprietary": What's the downside of supporting a component of your product that's proprietary? If it doesn't work, we know to whom we should complain.

2. We can or cannot access the "full web": Perhaps there are plenty of areas we can access. However, if We could access everything, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. There must be enough Flash-only content that it's worth talking about it.

3. Reliability, security, and performance: See #1. If it doesn't work, we know to whom we should complain.

4. Battery life: Perhaps we could let the user decide if the loss of battery longevity is worth whatever it is that he or she is able to access through Flash.

5. "Touch": A real potential problem. Too bad we can't know for sure because Flash isn't supported on our devices.

6. Being "at the mercy" of third-party developers: probably true. Flash may well stagnate because the development lags behind demand. Hasn't stopped Flash so far, but could in the future. It wouldn't exactly cripple the operating system if a limited set of applications didn't make progress along with the rest. We'd learn to move on.

The bottom line is that it is hard to imagine how Flash support could make things that much worse.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mahoneyr said:
This article explains well why an entire operating system should not rely on Flash. It does not as effectively argue why you can't support Flash as one part of your operating system.

1. It's "proprietary": What's the downside of supporting a component of your product that's proprietary? If it doesn't work, we know to whom we should complain.

2. We can or cannot access the "full web": Perhaps there are plenty of areas we can access. However, if We could access everything, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. There must be enough Flash-only content that it's worth talking about it.

3. Reliability, security, and performance: See #1. If it doesn't work, we know to whom we should complain.

4. Battery life: Perhaps we could let the user decide if the loss of battery longevity is worth whatever it is that he or she is able to access through Flash.

5. "Touch": A real potential problem. Too bad we can't know for sure because Flash isn't supported on our devices.

6. Being "at the mercy" of third-party developers: probably true. Flash may well stagnate because the development lags behind demand. Hasn't stopped Flash so far, but could in the future. It wouldn't exactly cripple the operating system if a limited set of applications didn't make progress along with the rest. We'd learn to move on.

The bottom line is that it is hard to imagine how Flash support could make things that much worse.

True

Sent from my iPad using iPF

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For another interesting read, I found this guy's article to be very informative and quite fair in comparing the two technologies: The Flash vs. HTML5 Endgame | VisionMobile :: blog

While I agree that with the two headed monster of Google and Apple pushing HTML5 in a big way it is almost inevitable that the future belongs to the new technology, it should be clear that this is still a LONG way off. In case people don't know, the final HTML5 spec won't be finalized until the year 2022. There are still a ton of issues to be ironed out before HTML5 will replace Flash. Let's see .. year 2022. I guess that means we will have full web access with iOS when the iPad 12 is in our hands.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would like to point out that when I posted that link it was to explain why Apple would not be supporting Flash. Not as a definitive argument against Flash. This is just Apple's [Steve Jobs] take on it.

Unless something happens to change Apple's point of view, there will be no Flash on iPads.

As for speculation on why Apple does this or that, I prefer to take statements at face value until I have proof otherwise, even celebrities and CEOs.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As for speculation on why Apple does this or that, I prefer to take statements at face value until I have proof otherwise, even celebrities and CEOs.

So when NAMBLA says they're all about fostering healthy bonds between grown men and underage boys, you're not looking for an ulterior motive, right? Cool.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Excellent example. Thank you. Or are you under the impression that proof of NAMBLA's actual intent is even marginally difficult to find?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love how everyone on this site seems to be riding the HTML5 bandwagon and in some ways, I guess that's ok. We are all alive and enjoying the internet RIGHT NOW, and RIGHT NOW Adobe Flash is responsible for the VAST majority of multimedia rich interactive content on the web. If one day HTML5 completely obliterates Flash, fine, I will be happy either way really.

My complaint about Flash on the iPad is because I like using the Internet RIGHT now, I don't care what format will be used in the future, I want it NOW. Right NOW the iPad can't offer the whole Internet, other devices can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts