What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is a HUGE stretch

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I thought I would post it anyway. Is there any possible way to connect an external hard drive to the ipad, play movies (mp4, I currently use VLC for them) on the ipad, and then connect the ipad to the TV? Basically the end result would be watching movies on my TV via the ipad. I know this is probably too big of a stretch, but I figured that I'd ask anyway. Thanks.

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Before I invest time in that though, can I even get stuff from my external hard drive like mp4 files onto the ipad to begin with?

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can put movies on your ipad by going through iTunes and syncing them. I use an app called AVPlayerHD so I don't have to bother converting the file format but I'm not sure if this will work for your end goal of being able to play it on a TV (I would think it would but I have not done it). As far as external hard drives, I believe it has to be a self powered hard drive for it to work and I don't think it can be just any hard drive. These are specifically designed for the iPad:

AirStash
AirStash™: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

HyperDrive
HyperDrive

GoFlex Satellite
GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

You will have to look into it but I believe some of these also required the Apple camera connection kit adapter.

Jeff_Trocity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been sorting through thousands of post related to the the external hard drive(self powered).

I'm using iPad 1st gen. 4.3.3
Ifile latest update...
Hard drive is western digital 1st self powered, Fat32

Before upgrading to the 4.3.3 from 3.2 I could use my 1tb wall powered hard drive with ifile with no problems. It came up as a flash drive and life was good... I understand the voltage output differences between 3.2 and 4.3.3 but I am confused because my hard drive is externally powered but ifile won't recognize it at all.... The hard drive lights up and spins for a few seconds then stops stays lit up. Do you know of anybody using 4.x.x with externally powered hard drives for storage?

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't know it was as simple as dragging movies into your itunes, as far as getting moves on the ipad. I'm going to research more into hooking up the ipad to the TV, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts