What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third-Party Keyboards Jump to the Top of iOS Paid and Free Charts

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
paid-free-apps-keyboards.jpg

Yesterday, Apple has officially launched iOS 8, and among the new features that it brings is the ability to install third-party keyboards that work on a system wide basis. This feature has been announced before, so most of the major keyboard makers were prepared for the launch, getting ready iOS 8 versions of their keyboards into the iOS App Store.

Now, just one day after launch, three of these keyboards, including Fleksy, SwiftKey and Swype, are now some of the most downloaded paid and free iOS app in the U.S. and other countries. Paid keyboards Swype and Fleksy managed to climb to the top two spots in the U.S. paid iOS app chart.

Popular games such as Minecraft Pocket Edition and Five Nights at Freddy's have lost the top position to third-party keyboard apps. Swiftkey jumped to the number one spot in the free chart, ruling the now freemium and very popular 1Password password manager and the recently launched Amazing Thief game. Even the Facebook Messenger app could not resist to the millions of users looking to get the app on their iDevices.

These three keyboards and more are available to all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners running iOS 8. SwiftKey is available for free from the iOS App Store, while Fleksy costs $1.99 and Swype is 99 cents. Follow the links from below to download them from the iTunes Store.

Source: SwiftKey on iTunes
Source: Fleksy on iTunes
Source: Swype on iTunes

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Reaction score
Touchpal is another option for a 3rd Party Swipe Type keyboard - it is great to see their success in the App Store!

Roger82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bit dubious on these...? May just have to jump in the deep end and give it a shot!

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Swiftkey keyboard is probably my favorite keyboard in iOS 8, swype and TouchPal doesnt work out really well with iPad keyboards.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been playing with the MyScript Stack keyboard.

If you would prefer hand written input over keyboards, it seems to work pretty well. Fast, though not as fast as I can peck out on the touch keyboard.

This is a pretty neat keyboard, but you're right, it's easier to type out the words.

Still - this one entertains me. Thanks for mentioning it.

Marilyn

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I really don't like about third party keyboards is that they can be unresponisve. and that they can't be used when logging in to accounts. Concerning the keyboards it may just be iOS compatibility issues or just a few bugs or maybe its the keyboard itself. I can understand why Apple would not allow third party keyboards to be used in logins but for heavans sake can't we just make ut an option?

Most reactions

Latest posts