What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thinking on buying a Ipad air +cellular from network provider

tempo123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking on buying a Ipad air +cellular from a network provider....my question is: would it be lock to that provider, what happen in 1-2 years time if I want to change provider? I don't really want to JB my IpadAir. If it is lock, would be possible buying an unlocking code? Thank you for your time

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, the Air won't be locked. Later on, just get a new sim card from a different carrier. It will work because the Air works on all providers in the US. Can't say for sure in other countries, though, but it is mostly a world-wide device.

This is not true for other iPads, just the Air and the Mini with Retina Display.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most (if not all) cellular iPads are unlocked whether if you purchase them through a carrier or through Apple directly. I've yet to actually see or hear of a case where an iPad can't swap-and-use another SIM, but it may be possible in different regions

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The other models don't have the appropriate electronics to allow them to operate on any network.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To correct my initial post, the older iPad models may have issues with band swapping (GSM -> CDMA or vise versa) as they behave just like the older iPhone models, where you can't use a GSM iPhone 4 on a CDMA network, and you can't use a CDMA iPhone 4 on a GSM network, so this affects the iPad 1 and iPad 2. For the iPad 3 and newer devices, and the iPhone 4S and newer devices, the devices are interchangeable between carriers/bands because they're dual band devices, much like how the iPhone 4S does not differentiate between a GSM iPhone 4S and a CDMA iPhone 4S, so it's a lot handier when it comes to traveling abroad.

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my experience, they are not locked. BUT, if you go to the Apple Store, they specifically ask you what provider you're intending to roll with. With AT&T and T-Mobile, a SIM card would be involved. But as for Verizon and Sprint, since they don't use SIM cards, it may or may be something to tell whoever you're buying from what provider you're going with. I've always rolled with a rooted Android phone. So I've basically connected to my rooted Android phone's LTE services without having to buy an LTE version of anything (just connect via Wifi and presto) without having to pay 'extra' for a ripoff data plan for a limited amount of gigs.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my experience, they are not locked. BUT, if you go to the Apple Store, they specifically ask you what provider you're intending to roll with. With AT&T and T-Mobile, a SIM card would be involved. But as for Verizon and Sprint, since they don't use SIM cards, it may or may be something to tell whoever you're buying from what provider you're going with. I've always rolled with a rooted Android phone. So I've basically connected to my rooted Android phone's LTE services without having to buy an LTE version of anything (just connect via Wifi and presto) without having to pay 'extra' for a ripoff data plan for a limited amount of gigs.

Verizon uses SIM cards. At the apple store they ask you which provider so they can make sure you walk out with a model containing the right SIM card.

Most reactions

Latest posts