What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of jailbreaking my ipad 2 and have some questions first

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
  1. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is it to jailbreak for a noob?
  2. Other than accessing Cydia, what are the advantages of jailbreaking?
  3. Are there any disadvantages?
  4. Can I un-jailbreak my ipad 2 if I ever decide to? If so, how easy/difficult is it to do?
  5. Does it make any difference if I jailbreak using absinthe, redsnow, etc?

Last edited:

Supafongboon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have these exact same questions running through my mind. Mine is currently jailbroken at 4.3.3 and have been scared ever since to update and do other stuff. If anyone could elaborate that would be awesome

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may suggest, have a look at this sticky about jail breaking: Jailbreaking Explained - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Then, have a good long browse through the Hacking section and read up on the various tweaks and things people have installed to their iPads. This will give you the best idea of what's possible with jail breaking. Only you can decide if any of the tweaks will make it worth it to you to jail break your iPad.

Right now, the best tool for jail breaking is Absinthe 2.0 as it will do an untethered jail break for any iPad running the most current iOS (5.1.1).

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going a little extra helpful and add the following

1. Jailbreaking is a 2/10 2 being very easy. Just know what home button and lock button is if needed. And ability to read lol.

2. Advantages of Cydia - theming (making it look like various android devices with dreamboard, windows7 phone, sonypsp, nokia, etc) / productivity from tweaks / bluetooth sharing files / notification tweaks like call from notification center & etc. / ability to sms anywhere and whenever* / torrent / action menu (not just cut copy etc) / download from safari / expand your wifi with wifi booster in signals (get technical)

3. Disadvantages - some tweaks are not updated to be compatible but majority are and well this isn't a disadvantage but everything is organized.
With apple signing for updates or restore to current version is very limited on flexibility because they want to prevent jailbreaking.

4.You can unjailbreak your ipad, just uninstall everything that you installed from cydia. Cydia can be kept there . Or you can do a complete restore after a backup and you'll have no cydia just original unjailbroken device. (but if apple updates ios firmware and theres no jailbreak you're out of luck once you get on the next firmware unless with tiny umbrella application)

5. different softwares for jailbreaking provide difference things for developers. but just stick with recommended software for your operating system and your device and you would have no trouble =)

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
did you end up jailbreaking it? Let me know how it worked out please because I'm thinking about jailbreaking my ipad mini

This thread is outdated. It's literally one click to jailbreak your mini. Really can't get any easier.

Tapatalk'd from my freshly jailbroke iPad Mini thanks to Evasi0n

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As this is an old thread - and the jail breaking world has moved forward - this thread is now closed. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts