What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of getting Ipad1 , Thoughts????

roy8846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I am a big android fan and have never owned an apple product until now , been offered an Ipad 1 Mint 14 months warranty + nice case (16gb wifi) for £280

My question is should I get the Ipad 2 or will the 1 still be a great option??? I am interested in gaming and browsing only.

From what I have read Ipad 1 can play 99% of games???

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well......
The iPad 3 is due to come out very soon, and that will lead to the iPad 2 price dropping. If you really want to play the big games such as infinity blade 2 and such, then I would wait and get an iPad 2. iPad 1 has very limited RAM for the games coming out, and sometimes Safari even crashes on popular websites because of the lack of RAM.

I would wait for the iPad 2 price to drop, and then buy one off Ebay or something. You get twice the RAM as iPad 1, and twice the CPU. And the camera. (which I couldn't care less about)

Just what I would do. You are going to love the Apple world, coming from Android. But at the same time, you have to understand that Apple locks down their devices quite a bit, so it won't be like Android where you can just download something to change your keyboard and other system stuff.

Mooseamoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. Keep away for the iPad 1. Both my wife and myself have one and it has turned into a royal pain due to limited RAM.

imjune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 1 can play 99% of game recently is definitely true. But if gaming is ur priority, u should ask, "can ipad 1 play the upcoming games?"

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds like a bad price for a device that's nearing two generations old, on which users are encountering RAM probs because of the latest firmware. It will also probably stop getting firmware upgrades soon. (Even if Apple continues to offer them, I wonder whether I'd chance it, considering that they've already created RAM probs with iOS 5.)

I have iPad 1 and 2, and crashes on Safari are notably more frequent on iPad 1, which has half the RAM of iPad 2.

I don't play any games. And my iPad habits haven't changed since iPad 1's debut. The only diff is firmware, which is now hindering iPad 1.

OP
R

roy8846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds like a bad price for a device that's nearing two generations old, on which users are encountering RAM probs because of the latest firmware. It will also probably stop getting firmware upgrades soon. (Even if Apple continues to offer them, I wonder whether I'd chance it, considering that they've already created RAM probs with iOS 5.)

I have iPad 1 and 2, and crashes on Safari are notably more frequent on iPad 1, which has half the RAM of iPad 2.

I don't play any games. And my iPad habits haven't changed since iPad 1's debut. The only diff is firmware, which is now hindering iPad 1.

Thanks for the replies. He paid 500 quid only 10 months ago.

So I think I will get an Ipad 2 then, probably an apple refurb 32gb wifi for 420 quid.

OP
R

roy8846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest you wait for the iPad 3. Rumor says it will be release in March, 2012

Wish I could wait , I am however very impulsive AND impatient. Get funds in less than 2 weeks so will be buying something even if in a month it will be £50 cheaper.

I feel a 32gb Ipad 2 will suffice me for a while. Wish the answers were more in favour of the Ipad 1 though :( But the lack of memory sounds like it really hampers the device???

I want to play games like MC3 , Real Racing 2 , Call Duty Zombies et al.....

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i would suggest that you wait for the ipad 3...getting ipad1 unless you pat 50dollars will end up being a waste time effort and money as you will for ever wonder why you did not get the newest one...the ipad 1 will be ok but compared to the 3... no comparison... i got an ipad 2 for christmas and wish i would have waited for the 3.... not taking anything away from the one i got tho.... i love it

Abner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If an iPad 1 does what you need and you can get a good deal then go for it. Saving money is a good thing. My iPad 1 works great and I have never had any RAM issues. I have watched TV, listened to tons of podcasts, done word processing and spreadsheets and played many games. My line of thought.... why pay more for what you don't need? Be smart and save a buck.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there is any chance the camera is important to you, wait for the 3. No camera in 1, fuzzy camera in 2, 3 should be much better.

perlfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jumping on the bandwagon - if price is the issue, wait for the ip2 price to drop as soon as ip3 is announced.

OP
R

roy8846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jumping on the bandwagon - if price is the issue, wait for the ip2 price to drop as soon as ip3 is announced.

I cant wait though :p , Also dont want to miss the 5.0.1 bandwagon ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there is any chance the camera is important to you, wait for the 3. No camera in 1, fuzzy camera in 2, 3 should be much better.

I wouldn't count on significantly better cameras. The quality is poor so that features such as FaceTime and Skype will work. If you have better picture quality, you'll be transmitting way more data (giving you jerky streaming of images). Cameras on iPad were designed for video calling.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts