What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of getting a mini 4

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting the mini 4. Are they discontinuing them? Are they going to have newer model minis. If they are I can wait and then get a newer model.
Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting the mini 4. Are they discontinuing them? Are they going to have newer model minis. If they are I can wait and then get a newer model.
Thanks
Apple never announces in advance about discontinuing any of their products. There is also no official word on whether or not Apple will introduce a replacement for the iPad Mini 4.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello - as already stated by Scifan.., this forum has no connection to Apple nor insider information to answer your questions above, sorry. Apple had released their Minis on a yearly fall date until the Mini 4 which came out in September 2015, so 2 years w/o a newer one - does that mean potential discontinuation? Not sure?

My wife has a 2-year old Mini 4 (and the battery is still 90+% healthy) and remains pleased w/ its size and performance - the specs on the Mini 4 are still quite good (see pic below - Source), i.e. A8 processor, 2 GB RAM, and iOS upgradeable (wife on 11.2 w/o a problem). For more details and some commentary, take a look at this MacRumors Article - you can also google for more speculation. Dave :)

P.S. if you do decide to buy a Mini 4, then purchase enough storage; my suggestion is 64 GB minimum depending on your plans for using the device.
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.46.56 AM.png

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I have the iPad Air 2 which I am very happy with but my hands have started hurting me because it is heavy. The mini 4 is smaller so I figured it would be a lot lighter. I don’t want to get the 4 if Apple is going to stop sending updates for it.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Mini 4 will run the latest IOS 11 and its amendments, but whether it will run the IOS 12 is difficult to predict. The Mini is a nice light weight device. The alternative might be to use a stand with your Air 2. There are lots on the market - from quite simple to wired for sound.

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use one of those keyboard folios which I think is a Targus brand with my Air 2 and it works well, just like a mini laptop. Something like that may work for you and it would certainly cost less than a new iPad. It connects via Bluetooth and the battery lasts at least two weeks though I’ve never actually run it down completely.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mini 4 is pretty close to the air 2 spec wise and will likely stay current for a few years yet. The air 2 would be the lightest iPad next to the mini but I would question whether it’s the weight or repetitive strain that is hurting your hands. The air weighs less than a pound and the mini would be a few hundred grams less but not a dramatic difference.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks all, I think I’ll just wait. I’ll check out the stands. I’m very happy with my iPad Air 2. Next time I’m at the Apple store I’ll look at the mini.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The mini 4 is pretty close to the air 2 spec wise and will likely stay current for a few years yet. The air 2 would be the lightest iPad next to the mini but I would question whether it’s the weight or repetitive strain that is hurting your hands. The air weighs less than a pound and the mini would be a few hundred grams less but not a dramatic difference.

I don’t think that the weight is the largest factor in fatigue. I think it’s the leverage, or torque that the tablet exerts in your hand, and that is mostly a matter of size. At least that’s what I notice when comparing the 12.9” iPad Pro to a 9.7” iPad. The same is probably true when moving down to a mini.

You can minimize this with a strap or other method of holding the iPad in the middle of the back, as opposed to holding it by the edges, where the weight is multipled by that nasty lever thing we learned about in physics class.

My trick is to lean back in my chair and rest the edge of the iPad Pro on my belly; but I realize that not everyone has the guts for this.

KimChee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a Mini 2 for looking at when laying down or reading a book, I love the form factor...I take it outside of the house..the Air 2 stays in the house when I'm sitting up.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got a Mini 2 for looking at when laying down or reading a book, I love the form factor...I take it outside of the house..the Air 2 stays in the house when I'm sitting up.
Thanks for answering. I don’t like reading on my iPad, I have a Kindle and like reading on that.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided, im just going to keep my iPad Air 2. If They come out with a new mini then I might get it.

Most reactions

Latest posts