What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of Buying

lucasnewsome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Wanna buy an iPad for school. Probably just for things like watching TV shows and making Pages Docs. 32GB or 16GB.
Replies would be much appreciated. Thank you.

migeliic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In your case 16Gb will be enough.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi. Wanna buy an iPad for school. Probably just for things like watching TV shows and making Pages Docs. 32GB or 16GB. Replies would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Lucasnewsome....welcome to the forum. There are a lot of discussions about buying an iPad on this forum so you might want to do a search.

If you are a full time student, and I am going to assume you are a college student. Check out your college bookstore. If they have an Apple kiosk, you might find a good deal. If you can afford the 32 GB model, I would go for that. Once you get an iPad, you will find yourself filling it up with apps and...as a student you might want to take advantage of e-books for classes. I am a part time student at my local state college and many of the professors are giving their syllabus and information on the web which can be downloaded to your iPad. Many are making lecture presentations available when you arrive in class.

The more room you have the better equipped you will be-->if you can afford it.

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should strongly consider buying a refurbished iPad. The purchase price is about $100 less, looks and works like new, and has a full one year warranty instead of ninety days. If you purchase AppleCare you'll double the warranty to two full years abs get unlimited tech support calls for the two years instead of one call over 90 days.

Mooseamoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would seriously consider an ipad 2 or wait for an ipad 3. The ipad 1 has a serious memory deficiency. There are ways around it but it requires forethought and persistence. The ipad 2 has more memory which means you can more easily support larger apps and many apps. Also, i agree with the 32 gb suggestion. You will get hooked on the apps, movies, and music.

Mooseamoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I have ipads. After a restart, we have around 80 MB of memory. After going through a few apps, we are less than 20 MB. If we bring up a memory hog app, it blows up. I also have an iphone 4 which has twice the memory and never run into the memory issues.

imjune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back again on how would u use ur ipad. Memory lack will only be noticable when u run heavy app such games with intense graphic. But on my ipad 1, even infinity blade II runs smoothly. Several crashes, yeah, but what's wrong with it? Computer stuff crashes, coz its one thing they must be doing .

Here's what I had in mind before I bought the stuff.
I love collecting ebooks, I like watching movies, browsing and I do presentation regularly, so for me storage capacity is the main issue. 64gb it is...
The next consideration is internet connection. With a wifi type, I can only connect on a hotspot area. So 3g connection is a must for me.
Gaming, Dont really like it on mobile device, so any type is ok with me.
And the last, price. For me, ipad 1 is more reasonable. So here I go, typing this post with my ipad 1, and still happy with it so far.

So back again, how would u use ur ipad and how much bucks u're willing to spend.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back again on how would u use ur ipad. Memory lack will only be noticable when u run heavy app such games with intense graphic. But on my ipad 1, even infinity blade II runs smoothly. Several crashes, yeah, but what's wrong with it? Computer stuff crashes, coz its one thing they must be doing .

Several crashes annoys me very quickly. :)
And, that was kind of random.

imjune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Several crashes annoys me very quickly. :)
And, that was kind of random.

Lol u're rite. On PC I dont need crashes to annoy me. Several seconds loading delay would be enough for me to turn the PC off and do the stuff at home on my beloved computer.
Well diffreent person different needs. As for my needs and how I use my ipad, the crashes are not that often and not that random, since I know which app would be crashing. As for gaming, I'm not into it on ipad. But I can assure you modern combat 3 runs prfectly on my ipad 1.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't run any games on my iPad 1. Safari crashes on it much more frequently since iOS 5. My iPad habits haven't changed in the nearly two years since I got iPad 1. The only thing that's changed is the firmware.

I wouldn't consider buying an iPad 1 at this point. Even if Apple doesn't cut off iPad 1 firmware upgrades soon, I probably won't upgrade further, because iOS 5 already is overtaxing iPad 1's RAM. I also have iPad 2, and I can see the difference in crash frequency, even when I visit the exact same news websites on both iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts