Think first!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ayerbusiness, May 9, 2010.

1. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Why would you assume all iPad users own iPhones? I can't see spending more than two grand on a cell phone, but I own to iPods and an iPad.

2. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    iPad 3G/WiFi VOIP / Landline phone calling

While it does only have a data only modem, voice traffic is sent as data, analog is gone. If you, some how, send analog to a switch they'll make you digital with a highly techily named 'analog to digital converter', clever ehh.

Anywho... I make calls from my ipad to both VOIP AND land lines now. I'm actually writing up a walk through showing how to do it now.

The solution has some limitations *but* I think those will get better with OS 4.0, I'll be putting the walk-through up on ipad-candy.com VERY soon!

Regards,

#22 john, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    5 years! HAHAH that's like an eternity in this day and age man. Any technology device is archaic 5 years later! Seriously, think about it what does that prove/show?

Unless I'm missing a profound point here I have NO IDEA what your argument is/may be.

4. lowlife

lowlife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I would love to have phone powers on my iPad. When I used my desktop I often would make calls using a bluetooth and Skype. That would/will love that function when we have third party multiple-tasking.

I can already see myself watching a video, a call comes in and the video pauses while I speak.

5. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  6. viperviper

viperviper
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  7. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

The so called 'tutorial' for adopting VOIP on the iPad is poorly written and fatally flawed for most new iPad users.

It assumes one has Gizmodo5 which has been aquired by Google and closed to new users. It also assumes that you have Google Voice which is available in Beta but a little involved to acquire. I've had GV for some time now and find its quality/reliability leaves a lot to be desired.

It also annoys me that Google blocks certain numbers I use regularly because Google may incur an interconnect charge under the current telecom rules.

But that isn't saying VOIP is impossible on the iPad 3G with the goal or free or almost free VOIP calls. Here Google is your friend and some time following what is current for the summer of 2010 would be in order.

That said Skype will probably end up being the best bet for most iPhone users this next month with the release of iPhone OS 4 and for iPad users Skype will be dah bomb this fall if you want to use the iPad to connect to someone using VOIP.

8. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My argument is that there will be huge numbers of iPad 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0s in 5 years, but they will still do what they do today, or probably much more with software upgrades.

The higher the number the lower the used price will be. I think that the price will be so low that we will keep the old iPads in our home or car like we do phonebooks or notepads now rather than selling them.

The problem with computers is the hardware is pretty much static, sure you can add memory and hard drive space but if you add all those new programs it will run sluggish, but if you had bought a new computer in 2000 and added not a single program to it and used it for, email, surfing and writing letters it should do that just as fast as the day you bought it.

If I want to check my email 5 years from now on this iPad, I am sure it will work just as good as it does today so there may be many laying around homes used only sporadically.

9. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    And one more thing, the reason you sell your iPhone is that for it to work well you need to have a contract, which with the wifi and 1 month contract 3G and movies etc an old iPad will serve a purpose.

10. bukzin

bukzin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Line2 by Toktumi

The phone apps I have tried (VoiceCentral and Line2) both seem
    to work fine (with a earbud headset and mic) on both ipad and ipad2.

Sound fine and almost free calling!