What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There’s not yet a market for a bigger sized iPad Pro, says analyst

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple-ipad-pro-designboom01.jpg

Rumors about a bigger-sized iPad, allegedly called the iPad Pro, have been surfacing the web for quite some time now. We too have been keeping you informed with the least hearsay, suggesting that there will be two different models of the 12.9-inch ‘iPad Pro’ in 2014 or just one that will launch somewhere in fall. But there are many who are skeptical about its success, such as Rhoda Alexander, director of tablet and monitor research at market research firm IHS. Albeit acknowledging that there have been larger panels in the manufacturing line, the analyst says that these are just experimental, in Apple’s case:

We have not seen volume shipments yet of any panels. We have to get a lot further down the line in terms of seeing really strong indicators from Apple that such a product exists, and we're just not at that point

Despite the fact that Samsung has launched some 12+ inch sized tablets at the beginning of this month, the analyst doesn’t seem to think that there’s yet enough demand for such a product. And the product placement of an iPad Pro is another problem which doesn’t seem characteristic for Apple.

When this [rumored] product was first discussed, it was said that there were requests from the education market, which I think shows a lack of understanding about how that market works. Those products have to qualify over years. Most of the education market is still using the iPad 2

What's the argument for it? The usage model is not entirely clear at this point. Microsoft has indicated in the past that they're developing Office for the iPad. That's one application that if it came out, you could make an argument, OK, there's a use case where it would be useful to have a larger device.

What do you think - are there more pro reasons for Apple to come up with a bigger sized iPad or more against it?

Source: Cnet

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no market yet for bigger tablets BECAUSE they are no bigger tablets made yet. People would say that it would suck without ever trying it.

I think a bigger tablet would become a success in business. I am not against it as it may become the first of its kind for use to have a future for bigger tablets. Do you see sci-fi movies like the Enders game? You would see large tablets around the ship. Some even flout and is virtual. That is what I think the success of bigger tablets could make in the near future.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no market yet for bigger tablets BECAUSE they are no bigger tablets made yet. People would say that it would suck without ever trying it. I think a bigger tablet would become a success in business. I am not against it as it may become the first of its kind for use to have a future for bigger tablets. Do you see sci-fi movies like the Enders game? You would see large tablets around the ship. Some even flout and is virtual. That is what I think the success of bigger tablets could make in the near future.

I agree that the floating tablets we see in sci if films are certainly damned cool but this isn't quite the same thing. As I've said before, I feel that this larger iPad sort of clashes with the super light and very portable mac book air laptops. But, I may very well be wrong. We shall find out at some point here.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no demand because people need to see and hold such a device to realize how it will work for them. Also, there needs to be vertical market apps that target niche groups, rather than apps targeted to masses. A "Pro" model has to serve a business or professional need, not a general purpose one. The thoughts of a single analyst mean nothing. It's not as if that person is some expert on products that work in markets. Sad that the education market is 5 years behind the real world, though. Apple ought to be ashamed for not lowering the price on the iPad 2. It's one thing to draw in gravy from people like me, but schools? I hope they are at least offering the education market A+ support for that $400 (I can't see how). Maybe they offer huge volume discounts and are just offering it in stores for such a high price. It just seems wrong to be ripping off people who have the least so they can get richer and richer.

I just ordered a new laptop with a 15-inch screen running Windows 8. What's interesting is this thing flips into a tablet! A 5 LB, 15-INCH TABLET! :) I bought it because the screen is supposed to be like 95% sRGB and it comes with a digitizer, which is something I need. I don't plan to use it seriously in tablet mode, though, but I will test it out.

Last edited:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no demand because people need to see and hold such a device to realize how it will work for them. Also, there needs to be vertical market apps that target niche groups, rather than apps targeted to masses. A "Pro" model has to serve a business or professional need, not a general purpose one. The thoughts of a single analyst mean nothing. It's not as if that person is some expert on products that work in markets. Sad that the education market is 5 years behind the real world, though. Apple ought to be ashamed for not lowering the price on the iPad 2. It's one thing to draw in gravy from people like me, but schools? I hope they are at least offering the education market A+ support for that $400 (I can't see how). Maybe they offer huge volume discounts and are just offering it in stores for such a high price. It just seems wrong to be ripping off people who have the least so they can get richer and richer.

I just ordered a new laptop with a 15-inch screen running Windows 8. What's interesting is this thing flips into a tablet! A 5 LB, 15-INCH TABLET! :) I bought it because the screen is supposed to be like 95% sRGB and it comes with a digitizer, which is something I need. I don't plan to use it seriously in tablet mode, though, but I will test it out.

My first empressions with it is it is just gonna be another lackluster product. And I was right. I did not like it AT ALL.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree that the floating tablets we see in sci if films are certainly damned cool but this isn't quite the same thing. As I've said before, I feel that this larger iPad sort of clashes with the super light and very portable mac book air laptops. But, I may very well be wrong. We shall find out at some point here.

It does. And for me I think larger tablets will have other uses than a regular tablet.

futureme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a market for digital artist and for construction industry viewing drawings on site with a A3 size ipad. For me I like to have a slightly smaller than a3 size ipad , so that I can have my noteshelf on the right taking hand writing notes while reading PDFs n books on the left !! Or I have to do what I m doing now is using my wife's ipad on the right n mine in the left. Looking forward to large format ipad !!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If they can't sell more than 5 million units a year, there is no market.... That takes the niche markets out of place.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a market for digital artist and for construction industry viewing drawings on site with a A3 size ipad. For me I like to have a slightly smaller than a3 size ipad , so that I can have my noteshelf on the right taking hand writing notes while reading PDFs n books on the left !! Or I have to do what I m doing now is using my wife's ipad on the right n mine in the left. Looking forward to large format ipad !!

I can definitely see the construction industry liking them and some artists. After that, I don't see how it benefits the office based business user who will just use their current iPad or laptops.

Watch the pro outsell all the other iPads. :)

kwekwe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sold my 10" ipad to get ipad mini. I'm sure some folks want bigger just as some folks want 17" screen laptops

Most reactions

Latest posts