theft proof case for shows?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by CMFox, May 27, 2010.

1. CMFox

CMFox
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I am new to this forum & have searched the site so hope this is not a repeat question....

We intend to use our new iPad at shows where customers can interact with it by selecting slides shows of products to look at...manufacturing photos...etc...sorta like an electronic catalog.

We can protect the screen, get a great easel to set it up on, but how to we keep our new iPad from walking away? short of keeping our eyes or hands on it 24-7.

Is there a case made (yet?) that will lock the iPad into the case and then a tether cable can be attached to the case and it can be locked into our booth?

I don't think we're unique in this use of an iPad....how are others keeping it locked down and safe while giving the public access to it?

Thanks.
    CMFox

2. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    You could rent a system like they have in electronic stores where every device is tied to a wire and an alarm goes off when the circuit is cut.

Don't they have something similar at Apple Stores?

3. merriman

merriman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You should get one made out of thick plexi-glass on top of the black bezel (so no one presses the home button!) and a metal stand which you can bolt on to a table.

4. write-stuff

write-stuff
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, like merriman said, should be pretty easy to fabricate something yourself. You could even cut the bezel out of wood. Stained and polyurethaned it would probably look great.

5. write-stuff

write-stuff
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I got to thinking. What are you going to use to make interactive presentations? Unfortunately, as we all know, Apple won't let you create your own custom apps and plop them onto the machine. Big brother is alive and well. I guess you could create .pdfs that had graphic hot spots for buttons that linked to other pages. Or maybe Keynote? Haven't tried that one yet.

6. magnusrf

magnusrf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    There's a nice app called Mailing List that can help you collect emails at trade shows. It plays a custom slide show and when the user taps the screen, it opens up fields for the user to put in their name and email. It works best if a display box could be custom made to cover up the home key. Anyone know of anyone who is making a display box yet? I'm not that handy.

7. kc2ped

kc2ped
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    There have been security systems available for years that are based on tabs that get attached to the device with high tack double sided tape. A cable and is passed around a table leg or something and is locked to the tab on the device. It wouldn't be as elegant as that thin wire at the Apple store but it would be a lot cheaper.

8. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I work as a cabinet maker in a jewelry case making factory. What you need is a window that covers the iPad made of tempered plate glass with a hole machined in that's just big enough to touch the screen inside of the bezel. Make sure the iPad is boxed in to prevent moving and twisting and that that glass is no higher up from the iPad than 1/16". The panel holding the iPad can be accessed from the back of the locked cabinet.

9. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Just get a woodworker to rout out a sheet of mdf with the bevels rebated and the screen areas left exposed. Then screw the whole lot down.

10. magnusrf

magnusrf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Check out this custom option I came across recently at labshield.com

It's an iPad kiosk made from stainless steel and features:
    • VESA bolt pattern for countertop or wall mount
    • iPad speakers, mic, wifi, and 3G remain functional
    • Secure iPad buttons to lock-in your app or website
    • Currently available in stainless steel
    • Available Sept. 23rd for $275

It's a little pricey, but it's very professional looking and versatile.