What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Useless Information" Thread

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The TV you currently own is using more power than a CRT TV, I have a bunch of them here and they use less power :)

A Commodore 64 a day keeps the Apple II away!

In 1991, the 36" RCA CRT TV consumed just over 300 watts, where a 42" LCD TV consumes about 200 watts. Around 15% larger screen and 33% less power consumption.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The pop you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually a bubble of gas bursting.

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Me too, I always wonder what it must have been like to be alive back then, hearing him when the music was brand new. It was so different from anything they must have been listening to at the time.

AND . . .

It scared my parents. I remember the great Elvis meltdown of '62. All that gyrating hip movement and dancing in jail. Drove granny nuts, too. Drove mom nuts, too.

Dad loved Elvis, so he was controllable.

We also had the 1910 Fruitgum Company, One Man Bands, and AM radio. All the good stuff is gone, so very sad.

I aint nothing but a hound dog and I was the person in the kitchen with Dina strumming on the old banjo.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AND . . .

It scared my parents. I remember the great Elvis meltdown of '62. All that gyrating hip movement and dancing in jail. Drove granny nuts, too. Drove mom nuts, too.

Dad loved Elvis, so he was controllable.

We also had the 1910 Fruitgum Company, One Man Bands, and AM radio. All the good stuff is gone, so very sad.

I aint nothing but a hound dog and I was the person in the kitchen with Dina strumming on the old banjo.

AND......

For me Bob it was under the covers at night with a germanium crystal radio set I built myself, powered by an Ever-Ready 6 volt battery that weighed as much as my bike, listening to "Radio Luxembourg", a "pirate" radio station broadcasting off the coast of England. I believe it was an old lightship that had been put to better use. Aaaah.....memories.....

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AND......

For me Bob it was under the covers at night with a germanium crystal radio set I built myself, powered by an Ever-Ready 6 volt battery that weighed as much as my bike, listening to "Radio Luxembourg", a "pirate" radio station broadcasting off the coast of England. I believe it was an old lightship that had been put to better use. Aaaah.....memories.....

Hi Roy Rob, I haven't seen you around for a while. How have you been, it's great to see you here.

I have a minor correction to your post.

Radio Luxembourg was in Luxembourg 208 on the Medium wave. I too listened in bed under the blankets. The radio signal fluctuated dramatically. Do you remember the Pools man Victor Kayan? With his infra draw method. He hailed from that place near Bristol - "spelled K E Y N S H A M".

The pirate stations were as you say in the North Sea on international waters. One set up base in an abandoned defence fort off the Essex coast. I think it was raided at a particularly low tide when the fort was connected with England by mud flats. Most likely I'm wrong here. Radio Caroline, with its own signature tune, lasted the longest. Tony Blackburn and his fictional dog, Arnold, was a DJ on her.

It took the pirates to wake up the BBC and get them to bring out Radio 1 to meet the obvious demand for pop, rock etc music.

I do remember one pirate station asking listeners to park up along the Essex beaches and to flash their headlights towards the pirate station when asked. That stunt became very popular :)

As you say. .... Memories......

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Roy Rob, I haven't seen you around for a while. How have you been, it's great to see you here.

I have a minor correction to your post.

Radio Luxembourg was in Luxembourg 208 on the Medium wave. I too listened in bed under the blankets. The radio signal fluctuated dramatically. Do you remember the Pools man Victor Kayan? With his infra draw method. He hailed from that place near Bristol - "spelled K E Y N S H A M".

The pirate stations were as you say in the North Sea on international waters. One set up base in an abandoned defence fort off the Essex coast. I think it was raided at a particularly low tide when the fort was connected with England by mud flats. Most likely I'm wrong here. Radio Caroline, with its own signature tune, lasted the longest. Tony Blackburn and his fictional dog, Arnold, was a DJ on her.

It took the pirates to wake up the BBC and get them to bring out Radio 1 to meet the obvious demand for pop, rock etc music.

I do remember one pirate station asking listeners to park up along the Essex beaches and to flash their headlights towards the pirate station when asked. That stunt became very popular :)

As you say. .... Memories......

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hi Richard yes it's been a while but I finally escaped from my alien abductors 8). Boy did you ever stir up some long unused RAM. Victor Kayan, Tony Blackburn, Radio Caroline. I think you are correct about the abandoned fort but I don't recall the raid. Workers Playtime at noon, the Archers, Max Bygraves on medium wave or was it long wave ? suddenly come to mind. Our old Baird TV had such a small round screen that my dad found an accessory lens that hung in front and magnified the picture. Programs were broadcast for just a couple of hours in the evening but a little longer on weekends. Do you still have the license police checking to see if you have a TV license?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I watched a movie a couple of months ago with Bill Nighy called "The Boat that Rocked". Must have been neat to have that growing up.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over 100 billion neutrinos pass unnoticed through your head every second.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over 100 billion neutrinos pass unnoticed through your head every second.

Well, given the definition of a neutrino, I can now understand while they pass so easily through my head:
"A neutrino is a neutral subatomic particle with a mass close to zero and half-integral spin rarely reacting with normal matter".
A bit miffed about that "normal matter" stuff though;(
Andrew

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, given the definition of a neutrino, I can now understand while they pass so easily through my head:
"A neutrino is a neutral subatomic particle with a mass close to zero and half-integral spin rarely reacting with normal matter".
A bit miffed about that "normal matter" stuff though;(
Andrew

Lol.
I really don't want to know what else passes through my "normal matter" without me recognizing it.

Most reactions

Latest posts