What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sound on my iPad 3 just stopped

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
no other suggestions? Does anyone know if this is a common thing?
Have you considered making a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store to have a full diagnostic run on your iPad. If there us a hardware issue and it's still under warranty, you should receive a replacement iPad or have your current iPad repaired.

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was hoping this happened to someone else and there was an available solution before conceding to Apple. I purchased this iPad 3 when they came out March of 2012 so I don't think the warranty is still in play. Is anyone aware of other iPad or iOS forums that may have a more technical foundation?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting all settings? To do so, go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. You won't lose any data but you will have to re input the password on sites that normally remember your password.

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have tried that. I'm not concerned with data lose at this point as I have already done a full system restore and set as new iPad. So if there are any suggestions where data lose is no concern I would be willing to try those as well. Does anyone know where to get iPad diagnostic software?

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks again but none of these suggestions work. This happened while I was in the middle of playing a game, I was not in any settings. I have done a full system restore which would have closed any apps that may have had the sound muted. Also, all volume control are set to max. Either way....Siri would still make noise. There is something deeper going on. Are there certain system files that control sound that could be replaced or regenerated? Is there a bios that could be flashed other than the iTunes system restore?
Siri makes really undetectable noise when you turn the Siri volume all way down, when its opened. Keyboard sounds can be muted, but according to you, you have not done so. Close all apps that are open and perform a full hard reset of your iPad. Also, if this this not work, I think the only way out would be making an appointment at the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple store, as Scifan said.

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct. No setting were changed. I am a computer programmer at my day job so by no means a computer genius, I am well above the average in tech department.

I did want to thank everyone for their suggestions, although most implied ignorance at simple volume settings, it turned out to be dirty ports that neither a can of compressed air or a toothbrush scrubbing followed by a vacuum could fix. I brought it to work this morning and blew it out with our commercial air compressor and that did it. I hope this helps the next person at their wits end with the same issue.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Correct. No setting were changed. I am a computer programmer at my day job so by no means a computer genius, I am well above the average in tech department. I did want to thank everyone for their suggestions, although most implied ignorance at simple volume settings, it turned out to be dirty ports that neither a can of compressed air or a toothbrush scrubbing followed by a vacuum could fix. I brought it to work this morning and blew it out with our commercial air compressor and that did it. I hope this helps the next person at their wits end with the same issue.

Good that you got it sorted out and thanks for posting the remedy. Cheers!

Most reactions

Latest posts