What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The operation could not be completed

bjt000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a message that appears incessantly on my screen.
If i "ok" it I can continue.
Can anyone tell me what's causing it and how to prevent it please?

OP
B

bjt000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
97 views.
Can no-one help?
One of you must hold the secret:(

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a message that appears incessantly on my screen.
If i "ok" it I can continue.
Can anyone tell me what's causing it and how to prevent it please?

97 views.
Can no-one help?
One of you must hold the secret:(

Well, you've not provided enough information to even help w/ a guess, i.e. likely the problem. You're posting in the iPad 3 forum - is that the model you own? What iOS is installed? Does the message appear on your home screen(s), in a browser (assume you use Safari) and/or in an app; if the latter, which app(s)? What does the message say? What happens when you hit OK?

May just help us - :) In the meantime, 'Reset' you iPad, i.e. hold down both the On-Off & Home buttons until the Apple logo appears, release and allow the device to reboot (none of your apps, data, or settings will be lost) - post back your results and the requested information. Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't pay attention to the views. They count not only forum members, but anyone who visits the site by other means, say via a Google Search link. And, like any forum, there are far fewer active members than there are people who read, and of those that are active those who have no idea what your problem probably aren't going to reply.

All that considering, 97 isn't all that big a number.

Anyway, as giradman said, we need more information to even begin to make a guess. As much detail as you can think of, and a screen shot wouldn't hurt. If there is personal data in the screen shot, you can use the app Skitch to obscure it before posting.

Hold in mind, we're just a bunch of people helping each other. Results aren't guaranteed. :)

OP
B

bjt000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you guys.
It's 00.35am here so I'll reply tomorrow if you want further information.
It's iPad3.
It's prompting me to upload 8.1.2 then telling me I don't have enough room for it yet I have 3.3gb available.
The message in the title is identical every time.
If I hit "ok" it disappears but sometimes it'll reappear instantly and I have to hit several times for it to disappear.
It happens in several situations but mostly when I'm in my Safari browser, on this and other forums for example, and in random apps.
I've tried switch on and off and I've done the reset procedure to no avail.

Twerppoet, I do appreciate what you say.
You replied on another issue last week and I thanked you for your help .

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you guys.
It's iPad3.
It's prompting me to upload 8.1.2 then telling me I don't have enough room for it yet I have 3.3gb available.
The message in the title is identical every time.
If I hit "ok" it disappears but sometimes it'll reappear instantly and I have to hit several times for it to disappear.
It happens in several situations but mostly when I'm in my Safari browser, on this and other forums for example, and in random apps.
I've tried switch on and off and I've done the reset procedure to no avail.

Hello again - thanks for the additional information - you still have not told us what version of iOS is installed on your iPad? BUT, now seems to be that you're being prompted to install the latest version, i.e. 8.1.2 - not sure what your storage may be on the device (i.e. 16, 32, or more GBs?) - obviously, for an OTA (Over the Air) upgrade, you do not have enough storage space left (see quote below - Source), so that has to be resolved - you can 'clear up' storage by deleting apps, music, movies, etc. or if you are backing up to a computer using iTunes, then a cabled connection requires less storage on your iPad.

I'll let you asses this information and respond - Dave :)

Then there's the fact that the update requires a huge amount of free space to install, forcing users to delete apps and data. Depending on your hardware, you'll need between 4.7GB and 6.9GB of free storage space, and that's massive, especially for devices that started out with only 16GB of space in the beginning (minus what iOS takes when installed).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition, almost all the storage required for the OTA download and installation of iOS 8 is freed up after the update is finished. If storage space is at a premium on your iPad, it's definitely recommended that you do the upgrade through iTunes on your computer.

OP
B

bjt000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An update.
I decided to try and update the software by connecting my iPad to my PC and using iTunes.
The update seemed to be progressing well until, on completion, a message appeared "Unable to update due to error".
The error code was -1, a code not listed under Apple error messages.
The message declared I now have to restore to factory settings and warned that unless I'd done a back up info would be lost.
I had backed up wirelessly the night before and synced my iPad to my PC before attempting the IOS update.

By then I had to leave the house for half the day but left my iPad connected to my PC.
When I returned the iPad battery indicator was in the red on minimum.
I removed it to charge via mains and left it for many hours.
It no longer charges.
I do eventually get an iTunes icon and a charge lead icon.
I assume this is an instruction to connect to iTunes and wait for the Restore option.
I'm baffled by the failure to charge having used two separate charge leads.
I'm going to try Apple Support on line.

OP
B

bjt000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update.
I'd coincidentally backed up the day before my iPad went dead on me.
10/10 for Apple support (telephone).
I'm fully restored and the lady who assisted was first class in terms of assistance and friendly service.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, it's always good to hear about the success stories.

Most reactions

Latest posts