What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Olympic Torch Relay

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
I was in Calgary for the 88 Olympic Winter Games. The arrival of the torch was the event high for me.
AA

The first time we were in Calgary, we stayed in the Olympic village. The university lets out the rooms during the holidays.

We loved it, and I got to use the nearly deserted running track.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any photos of the torch relay to post? I haven't seen any on this thread,yet.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anybody have any photos of the torch relay to post? I haven't seen any on this thread,yet.

I've seen several good ones on Google Images.

The torch relay site, which I posted earlier, has plenty of images, too, including live video.

Last edited:

scotong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh i wish i were still in England so that i could witness the relay!
What' a pity :(
may you upload some photos to share the joyful moment with me!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think the popularity was diminished somewhat when it was discovered that instead of just the great and the good carrying the torch, the sponsors have been parachuting their own people into the relay.......nothing is sacred these days.

The Archangel

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the youngsters in my running club was a torch bearer down in Hythe, Kent. See her run of fame in this clip.

All of us club members are very proud of her and that someone from a grass roots running club took part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
One of the youngsters in my running club was a torch bearer down in Hythe, Kent. See her run of fame in this clip. YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp0S3OwrufY

All of us club members are very proud of her and that someone from a grass roots running club took part.

I ran into the torch relay on the same day on my way to a meeting a bit further around the the coast. It's good to see "normal" and worthy folks being involved. It'll be a great memory for her.

BTW.....I wouldn't want to mess with the support runners, they look like they get locked into a cage every night and fed on raw meat!

The Archangel

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I ran into the torch relay on the same day on my way to a meeting a bit further around the the coast. It's good to see "normal" and worthy folks being involved. It'll be a great memory for her.

BTW.....I wouldn't want to mess with the support runners, they look like they get locked into a cage every night and fed on raw meat!

The Archangel

Yes, they do look like that! ;)

The weather seems to be improving in readiness for the opening day. Fingers X'd

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The count down is coming Richard!! Great video of your friend...such an honor to be chosen to do that!! :)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just seen that someone who tried to snatch the torch during the relay through Gravesend, Kent has been arrested.

The heavies flanking the relay runners should be a deterrent. I wonder whether the heavies work for G4S. :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just seen that someone who tried to snatch the torch during the relay through Gravesend, Kent has been arrested.

The heavies flanking the relay runners should be a deterrent. I wonder whether the heavies work for G4S. :)

That nice to hear that the Security forces have already started with the Torch Bearers!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
One of the youngsters in my running club was a torch bearer down in Hythe, Kent. See her run of fame in this clip. YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp0S3OwrufY

Richard,do the runners get to keep the torches after completing their portion of the torch relay?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
They pay £215 if they want to keep the torch.

The Archangel

I just heard about all the torches being offered for sale on eBay. The same thing happened at the 2010 winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I just heard about all the torches being offered for sale on eBay. The same thing happened at the 2010 winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Yes, £215 is quite a good investment for a return of £150,000!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts