The Official I got my iPad 2 Thread!

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by iDan, Mar 11, 2011.

1. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good question. Depending on how much you have already spent on apps, it may be worth getting rid of one of your accounts, and having the same AppleID on both iPads.

If you choose to keep both IDs, you log onto your account in iTunes, under the Store menu, do your syncing etc, and then log off. Then your wife can do the same.

Here's where things get sketchy for me, because my iTunes only has one AppleID, but I believe you will need separate libraries of music etc as each media file is associated with one, and only one, AppleID.

In your shoes, I would keep only one ID, swallow the loss of cash that you have paid for the apps, and go forward with one ID and shared apps and media. In the long term, this will be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Lets say you both want Pages. It will cost you $10 per AppleID plus $20 for the iMac version. So you are saving $10 right away. Then you can choose to sync all three versions, if that's what you want to do, so you type out a doc on the iMac, it syncs to both iPads and your wife can read what you have written, decides she needs to tidy it up, and makes her changes. Meanwhile you leave the house, stop for a coffee and pull out your iPad to add something to your doc, and the changes your wife made are already on your copy. It's a sweet system.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

2. jncbankston

jncbankston
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My wife and I both have our own apple accounts on same Macbook. This is how we are able to share apps/music/etc. apple let's you authorize up to 5 units to share content per apple Id. So first I buy the content thunder my iTunes account. Then I disconnect my device and log off my iTunes account. Next, I reconnect her device and allow iTunes to recognize it. Then I log into my iTunes account again and go to my Purchased list and download any app/sing/book onto her iTunes account. When I try to sync her device, iTunes will ask for my password. Once I enter the password, iTunes will then inform me that this machine is # X of 5 authorized devices. I click Continue and voila! I just put my purchases onto her device and her iTunes account and no double payments. And completely legal.

Only hiccup is for updates to any item I purchased, she has to log off as her and log in as me. But it's not national security so I do share my password with her.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Scooter, my White 32GB iPad, using iPF in Deutschland

3. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My daughter has 1 of her apps on my iPad, when the update comes through it will just pop up with her account and I just insert the password. I don't have to sign out of my account and into hers to do this. Very simple indeed!

4. qwerty12345

qwerty12345
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Good reply. I like to FaceTime my wife when out-of-town. Doesn't it required a separate Apple ID to do this? I note in later thread that we can register up to 5 devices to one account. We shared our passwords but in most instances we do not use the same apps so it may not be a problem. Thanks

5. qwerty12345

qwerty12345
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Great...this is the way I was thinking to go.

Thanks

6. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it does not. You just have to change the "Receive at..." address on one device.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

7. sintink

sintink
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It's my first time to got the prize though.

8. quadtronix

quadtronix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just picked up the IPad 2 at the beginning of this month. I mostly use it to browse the web and a little YouTube so there was no need for the extra horsepower in the 3 or 4. So far I'm loving it. I had the original IPad awhile ago but gave it to a family member last year when I got the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus. The extra screen real estate on the 2 is great compared to my 7 inch tablets though. Also considering an IPad mini later this year but we'll see...

9. jesrani

jesrani
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Got the IPad 2 on a visit to Singapore a few days back. Cost S$500. My first appple product. Really like the screen, size and display. It is a WiFi version only, mainly for kids and maybe Facebook.

10. BobZart

BobZart
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Anyone bought from eBay for a TPU rubber case for their iPad 2? Are they Smart Cover compatible? Are the eBay cases of good quality? I'm thinking of getting the frosted clear or translucent black color. Here are the choices:

Transparent Clear TPU Rubber Back Case Work w Smart Cover The New iPad 3 Stylus | eBay
    Clear s Shape Premium TPU Rubber Skin Case Cover for iPad 2 Accessory | eBay
    Rubberized PC Hard Back Case Work with Smart Cover for iPad 2 The New iPad 3rd | eBay
    Rubberized Black Back Snap on Hard Case for Apple iPad | eBay