What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New Ipad: Perfect for Extreme Adventure

simonnewbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jadeiteinnovation.com
The NEW IPAD ! Adventure Friendly or Cosmetic Accessory?
By Simon Peter Newbound - BMW Endurance Guinness Champion of the world

Forget the hype, forget the keynote, does the New IPAD really cut it in the field of Extreme Adventure? What we want to know is does the NEW IPAD fit for purpose amongst the most demanding terrains on planet earth?
Personally I remember my first few adventures where a typical media manifest for a Bike adventure would take up a whole pannier, weigh at least 25 kilos and feature a laptop, laptop case, inverters, hard drives, cables, plugs, converters and a handful of CD-ROMs . So can the New IPAD weighing slightly more than ample grasp of feathers achieve the aim of Adventure planning, route collaboration, Intelligence, political and safety research, journal and social network platform and desktop publishing? With over 250000 apps to choose from there surely is something for everybody’s need.

For me personally a new owner of the New IPAD for less than two weeks I have to say my first impressions are truly impressive. The retina display provides a breathtaking experience with apps like Google Earth, Google Maps and Motion X GPS. The integration with twitter and other Social Network apps like Google +, Facebook makes status updates a breeze and a pleasurable experience. Safety and navigation apps like Motion X GPS provide a really productive safety aid that will run in harmony with your GPS Unit.

Media capture can be achieved with the stock apps and again with popular apps like Camera + Pro and Cam Pro + Video. Editing and enhancement of your media can be achieved with great apps like Iphoto, Snapspeed, Diptic and Instagram. Video enhancements can be achieved right on the Ipad with truly functional apps like Imovie and Reel Director. Once you have created your final product the New Ipad provides the opportunity to upload in WIFI real time to your favorite Social Networks.

Finally Back up of your prized media collection should be achieving daily utilizing cloud services like DROPBOX, Sugarsync and Box. Worried about WIFI access? Let me tell you the more remote your location the more chance of finding WIFI access.
So on first impressions the NEW IPAD provides the WOW Factor, is robust, light, and will meet the needs for dream adventure no matter how tempered or extreme. For those of you who wouldn’t leave home without their trusty SLR there are now great units within the market place like “USB to WIFI Adapters” that will allow your ipad to act as secondary hard drive . Just how long will the New IPAD Battery last in Navigation and Media editing mode I have yet to discover but a 12 volt adaptor will provide an opportunity for recharge no matter how isolated your location.

The NEW IPAD in my opinion is made for Adventure, its stunning, beautiful, lightweight and totally functional and to have the opportunity to utilize all of its amazing functionality in a extreme adventure and real world scenario excites me to the core! Just how will the New Ipad 3 fair on a Herculean BMW Endurance Challenge? - Watch this space - coming soon the UNSTOPPABLE IPAD 3 Challenge - Together we aim to make history !

Moderation Notice:​ This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links of links to FaceBook

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]BMW Endurance Guinness Champion of the world 2012

Reaction score
I'm with you, Simon. Also a new owner of an iPad, I'm looking forward to using it on motorcycle trips. I've gone, as you have, from a laptop, to a netbook, and now to the iPad. Let the adventures begin!

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great writeup Simon!

I want to start using my iPad in more active outdoor settings. Have you had any good experiences with rugged cases? The only one I've tried so far was the Otterbox Defender, but hated the screen distortion due to the screen protector. This was the first batch though, and haven't seen the new batch. I guess there might be a trade off when it comes to protection vs screen/audio quality. Any recommendations?

Reaction score
I have the latest Otterbox Defender on my iPad, and have not found any screen distortion, so I'm guessing that problem has been resolved.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad + Extreme Adventure := This will be interesting!

OP
simonnewbound

simonnewbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jadeiteinnovation.com
Dear IPad adventurers

A nice response and thank you for your enthusiasm!

To be brief : I am putting together my own thoughts down on how to maximize the IPad facilities, function and apps in a adventure scenario for real world use. I have only had my New IPad for a short time but my adventure experience is truly extensive. As a double world record holder who previously utilized a PC laptop to achieve media correlation, social networking and blogs in the worlds most demanding terrains like the Kavir, Sahara and Gobi Deserts but who has now switched to the New IPad I can share with pleasure my experiences and trials and errors with an aim of providing you the best possible Setup for a successful adventure featuring and prioritizing Safety, Preparation, research, navigation and time versus budgets ! How does this sound so far?

So if you trust my methodology and believe in me I will continue on what works for me in my preparation for an Endurance World Record utilizing the New IPad .

World Record Adventure Tips by Simon Newbound for New IPad starting at Basic Level

. Getting Started Lesson 1 - Where are we coming from and where are we going too ?

1. Create Google Gmail Account to access your google maps
2. Now Get familiar with Google Maps - Creating and adding Place marks or waypoints ( YouTube creating google maps )
3. Download Google Earth and Google "My Maps" app and login with your new gmail accounts
4. Download MotionX GPS HD

Feel free to ask questions ? Back soon

Kindly Simon

BMW Endurance Guinness Champion of the World

Most reactions

Latest posts