What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The London Olympics 2012

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Canada has a second gold medal in as many days at the London 2012 Paralympics. :)

Summer Mortimer won gold in the Women's 50m Freestyle- S10 with a record-breaking time of 28.10 seconds. This is Mortimer's second medal after taking a silver yesterday.

Two more silvers came in the pool with Nathan Stein finishing second in the Men's 50m Freestyle-S10 and Brianna Nelson in the Women's 50m Butterfly-S7.

Virginia McLachlan brings home Canada's first bronze and first medal out of the water, with a third place finish in the Women's 200m - T35.

Canada now has a total of six medals; two gold, three silver, one bronze.

The colony rocks!

:)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Central London still has the sporting spirit with the Paralympics being screened at Trafalgar Square in between music sets on the stage just behind Nelson's Column.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm enjoying a new experience. Football in Paralympics. How they know where to go is amazing.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Ottawa, Canada paralympian Jason Dunkerley has won a Bronze medal.

Jason finished the 1500m - T11 in a personal best time of 4:07.56 to capture the bronze medal.

Dunkerley has three medals in previous games; a silver in Sydney, silver in Athens and bronze in Beijing.

He raced with his guide Josh Karanja.

Canada now has 13 medals; three gold, seven silver, three bronze.

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been missing you guys very much lately & have also had to miss almost all the Paralympics so far -- haven't even seen Lee Pearson:-( But today I'm off to the equestrian dressage in Greenwich, one of a party of 80 lovely RDA friends in several coaches.

Promised to say what I'd be wearing, titferwise (sic *) so look out for this hat (needle in a haystack comes to mind!!)
The "yellow duck topping" is a special tribute to leelai & all the other nice Ozzies. (That topping sounds rather scrummy, perhaps on some strawberry ice cream:))

I will wave madly to anyone, so please wave back or I'd look silly. And we wouldn't want that, would we? :):):)

(*) Will explain this term, if need be & if you ask nicely, on my return.

Attachments

• image-1393418346.jpg
    image-1393418346.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the heck titferwise meant....well golly, just learnt a new word....and here I was thinking it sounded rude. :O

A yellow duck for us ozzies? Don't know how that represents us but it is such a lovely duck!! So I love it!!

Have a wonderful time Stranding and so glad you've popped back in!!

Strawberry ice cream sounds deelish right about now too!

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
I was wondering what the heck titferwise meant....well golly, just learnt a new word....and here I was thinking it sounded rude. :O

A yellow duck for us ozzies? Don't know how that represents us but it is such a lovely duck!! So I love it!!

Have a wonderful time Stranding and so glad you've popped back in!!

Strawberry ice cream sounds deelish right about now too!

Thank you lots, leelai, I certainly will! I did wonder if the mighty bitten apple would allow it!
A special wave reserved for you:)

But I haven't explained that word yet...don't tell me Scifan got in with a wiki-ism while I wasn't looking??? Typical!!:):):)

So the previously-dreaded out-for-a-duckie is now promoted to a delish ice cream sundae topping:). Will Kay approve?

The duck is something to do with cricket...very dangerous territory here, as you will appreciate... but the mad rules of cricket are unfathomable to everyone except the mad nuts. Later will look out something I've heard that explains them in a very simple (but funny) way.... Richard, do you know the one I mean?

BTW what's the derivation of the word "sundae" here? Anyone?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stranding said:
Thank you lots, leelai, I certainly will! I did wonder if the mighty bitten apple would allow it!

But I haven't explained that word yet...don't tell me Scifan got in with a wiki-ism while I wasn't looking??? Typical!!:):):)

So the previously-dreaded out-for-a-duckie is now promoted to a delish ice cream sundae topping:). Will Kay approve?

The duck is something to do with cricket...very dangerous territory here, as you will appreciate... but the mad rules of cricket are unfathomable to everyone except the mad nuts. Later will look out something I've heard that explains them in a very simple (but funny) way.... Richard, do you know the one I mean?

No not Sci....I'm an Ace with Google, quite surprised by it though! Although I don't think I'll even use the word! ;)

I did think of cricket and yes not a nice run score to have at all and here they will show a duck waddling off the field on Telly.
And depending on which side has accomplished this feat it is usually met with a lot of heckling as the sorry batsman walks from the field. (must feel like
an even longer walk than usual too)

We say sundae here too....love them with chocolate topping and crushed nuts!! Gosh, I'm hungry again!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is what you are looking for.

The rules of cricket, as explained to a foreigner.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I think this is what you are looking for.

The rules of cricket, as explained to a foreigner.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Great description Kevin. Lol!! :D

Have you ever played Cricket on a snooker table?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
leelai said:
Great description Kevin. Lol!! :D

Have you ever played Cricket on a snooker table?

No, but I probably should. 12 feet is a long hit for me. I might stand a chance of a six with only 12 feet to aim at, assuming I hit the ball in the first place.

We don't get cricket in Canada, unfortunately. It's about the only thing I miss.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
No, but I probably should. 12 feet is a long hit for me. I might stand a chance of a six with only 12 feet to aim at, assuming I hit the ball in the first place.

We don't get cricket in Canada, unfortunately. It's about the only thing I miss.

Lol....and 12 feet?

My dad is a cricket nut, so I grew up with it....

I don't mind the 1 day games but longer than that is when my concentration wanes and I find it as exciting as watching grass grow! ;)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
Been missing you guys very much lately & have also had to miss almost all the Paralympics so far -- haven't even seen Lee Pearson:-( But today I'm off to the equestrian dressage in Greenwich, one of a party of 80 lovely RDA friends in several coaches.

Promised to say what I'd be wearing, titferwise (sic *) so look out for this hat (needle in a haystack comes to mind!!)
The "yellow duck topping" is a special tribute to leelai & all the other nice Ozzies. (That topping sounds rather scrummy, perhaps on some strawberry ice cream:))

I will wave madly to anyone, so please wave back or I'd look silly. And we wouldn't want that, would we? :):):)

(*) Will explain this term, if need be & if you ask nicely, on my return.

Great hat Stranding. I too love the little ducks in different uniforms too - absolutely quackers :D

Have a great time. I looked out for you at midday while cousin Tim and I were at the 19th hole of the High Elms Golf Course. :)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:

Ooh, cricket and ducks. Yes, very dodgy. Out for a duck applies when a batsman is out with a score of 0 runs. I wonder what a duck means at Bingo? :)

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And do I dare mention good looking men, little shorts...lol

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions