What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The London Olympics 2012

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
For non subscribers, will the magazine be sold internationally as a stand-alone?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Admiral, I just purchased the Sunday Times Olympic souvenir magazine. You can do it by first downloading the free Sunday Times app for iPad, then buying the magazine as an in app purchase.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jon Snow is hosting a series of programmes about Paralympians on Channel 4. Last night Clare Balding spent some time with Lee Pearson who is the captain of the Equestrian Team.

Lee had a great sense of humour. He is inspirational.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Jon Snow is hosting a series of programmes about Paralympians on Channel 4. Last night Clare Balding spent some time with Lee Pearson who is the captain of the Equestrian Team.

Lee had a great sense of humour. He is inspirational.

Glad you've caught up with Lee Pearson--he is certainly one of the main inspirational people within the para-sports. He is an icon for all RDA riders. I will catch it on BBCiPlayer -- hope it's still there.

I see they started the 4 strands of torch relays yesterday, each coming from within one of the 4 countries of the UK.

It's apparently going to be called "The Giggling Games" because of all the indignities many of them have to put up with. (I know exactly how funny I look when trying to mount up in posh mode...:))

I am also looking forward to what they call the "sitting volleyball"--not sitting in a wheelchair, but they must handle the ball while rolling around on the floor. I can't imagine NOT giggling while trying to do that!!! There is a photo in the Radio Times of one of the volleyball team who lost both her legs in what we call the 7/7 bombings on the underground, the day after we heard that London had won the Olympics 2012 bid.

When we arrived for our RDA trek along the Ridgeway on Tuesday, there was a photographer from the Oxford Times who took a lot while we were mounting up (despite my dire warnings:)) & walked a long way, snapping us with the stunning views in the background.

Presume they might be doing a topical feature on the para-sports. We get it online, so I will discover if he has dared put my derriere on the front page!!! Today I think??

I gather that we in this country, the place where the para Olympics first started, "get" the para-sports totally, and much more now than ever before. Isn't that a wonderful, joyful message to send out to the world, where some countries deny rights to disabled people still?

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
Glad you've caught up with Lee Pearson--he is certainly one of the main inspirational people within the para-sports. He is an icon for all RDA riders. I will catch it on BBCiPlayer -- hope it's still there.

I see they started the 4 strands of torch relays yesterday, each coming from within one of the 4 countries of the UK.

It's apparently going to be called "The Giggling Games" because of all the indignities many of them have to put up with. (I know exactly how funny I look when trying to mount up in posh mode...:))

I am also looking forward to what they call the "sitting volleyball"--not sitting in a wheelchair, but they must handle the ball while rolling around on the floor. I can't imagine NOT giggling while trying to do that!!! There is a photo in the Radio Times of one of the volleyball team who lost both her legs in what we call the 7/7 bombings on the underground, the day after we heard that London had won the Olympics 2012 bid.

When we arrived for our RDA trek along the Ridgeway on Tuesday, there was a photographer from the Oxford Times who took a lot while we were mounting up (despite my dire warnings:)) & walked a long way, snapping us with the stunning views in the background.

Presume they might be doing a topical feature on the para-sports. We get it online, so I will discover if he has dared put my derriere on the front page!!! Today I think??

I gather that we in this country, the place where the para Olympics first started, "get" the para-sports totally, and much more now than ever before. Isn't that a wonderful, joyful message to send out to the world, where some countries deny rights to disabled people still?

Hi, Stranding you will have to see the programme on 4oD. http://paralympics.channel4.com/index.html

Last night's programme covered Stoke Mandeville and the first Paralympic Games. Dr Guttmann's daughter was a guest. She will be the "mayor" of the Olympic Village.

Lord Coe will be a guest in tonight's programme.

Last edited:
OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you see "Come Dine with Me" last night? The 4 contestants were paralympians. Two are very well known.

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Did you see "Come Dine with Me" last night? The 4 contestants were paralympians. Two are very well known.

Noooo! Another programme to add to the list:-(. I'm not my own boss as far as choice of viewing is concerned at this time...just wait & I'll be back, as someone once said!

Love your brand new avatar! Great for the year of the jubilee & all the rest of the happenings. Can't remember what exactly...:):):)

I'm off to a family wedding alternative post-party today...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stranding said:
Noooo! Another programme to add to the list:-(. I'm not my own boss as far as choice of viewing is concerned at this time...just wait & I'll be back, as someone once said!

Love your brand new avatar! Great for the year of the jubilee & all the rest of the happenings. Can't remember what exactly...:):):)

I'm off to a family wedding alternative post-party today...

Sounds like you need the 4od App!

The Archangel

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now, here is something to keep us all amused during the interlude between the Olympics and Paralympics.

At the Brirish Museum, there are related displays, from Olympia through to today. The first photos are of a model of Olympia as built by the Greeks.

image-472345332.jpg

image-3219142488.jpg

image-2127457447.jpg

Then, here are gold medals cast for each set of the games. By Jove, the medals are very very large.

image-1544431315.jpg

Tower Bridge in readiness for the Paralympics.

image-2129020593.jpg

Last edited:

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you all ready for the Paralympic opening ceremony in a few hours time?

Simon Barnes who writes for the (UK) Times admits today to being rather nervous about the task. Others, including Melanie Reid, another Times writer who broke her neck when she fell from her horse a couple of years ago, agree it will be one moving, life-changing experience.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
Are you all ready for the Paralympic opening ceremony in a few hours time?

Simon Barnes who writes for the (UK) Times admits today to being rather nervous about the task. Others, including Melanie Reid, another Times writer who broke her neck when she fell from her horse a couple of years ago, agree it will be one moving, life-changing experience.

You bet. The London TV News programmes devoted plenty of time to the torch relay and the speculated content of the ceremony.

Part of the ceremony will be in honour of Professor Steven Hawking.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We enjoyed the opening ceremony. However the ad breaks spoilt it somewhat. We never saw the Colombian team enter the arena, thanks to ads from the beneficial sponsors :( :( :(

Then, viewing the show on the laptop became such a pain in the derrière as it was constantly obscured by an ever increasing number of large boxes linking back to various highlights.

I complained via the C4 web site.

I do hope the commercial breaks are slotted in sensitively between sports events, and not across them. From a cross viewer! :-(

Most reactions

Latest posts