What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The London Olympics 2012

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Being partly wheelchair-bound, I find it nearly impossible to go anywhere.

So sorry to hear the underlying depression in your message:-(

It's difficult when you're a "not quite", isn't it? Like, being only partly wheelchair bound can sometimes make it trickier to cope, for several reasons.

I also echo the question of where are you located, because that might make a big difference with any help we could offer.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just seen the Official Review of the London 2012 Olympic Games on the magazine stands.

Yes, I bought a copy and am enjoying it. It's a good coffee table top publication. :)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
I've just seen the Official Review of the London 2012 Olympic Games on the magazine stands.

Yes, I bought a copy and am enjoying it. It's a good coffee table top publication. :)

And a good way to try & recoup the outgoings! I will look out for that too when I go.

Still mulling over the headgear. No decisions yet. Mustn't be "too big," they say:-( Well, I won't take any notice of that!!!

Richard Brown said:
BTW, do you know whether special needs foods and drink will be allowed into the venues? I did read that dietary food could not be taken into the Olympic Park during the Olympics.

Apologies for delay answering this. I wanted to check this morning with our RDA chairman, who has organised our outing & has done all the bolshie pushing, shoving & finding out that she's very good at. Hence my ground level seat plus freebie...no one dares say "no" in her hearing:)

I suspect that some of the "official" rules specified for visitors will have to be relaxed somewhat for the para games. We have all been told that a packed lunch / tea is fine to take with us. These will necessarily include special foods for several disabled folk, so we don't anticipate any problems there. We will carry those in the soft-sided bags they advise which can be put under the seat.

It's drink that causes them problems. We are following someone's sensible idea of taking water bottles with us on the coaches. On arrival, any left-over water can be jettisoned but the empty bottle/s kept. Those can then be re-filled inside from the free water taps around (which they don't mention in the blurb). So a good cheap option unless you choose to buy other drinks in there.

She also said that when she went, there was no queue at all for the security check-- they just walked through.

Hope that's helpful.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mollysmom said:
Where are you, Moonlit? Aren't there many places accessible where you are? Even if there are places, it's still difficult. Restroom stalls can still be quite narrow. A girl in my class has a wheelchair and we have a devil of a time sometimes on field trips.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Indiana. Just the other day, I went to the State Fair. Worst part was trying to use the restroom. I have a weak right hip and weak right ankle due to Spina Bifida. Not really complaining, since I can walk under normal, daily circumstances but still...

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
And a good way to try & recoup the outgoings! I will look out for that too when I go.

Still mulling over the headgear. No decisions yet. Mustn't be "too big," they say:-( Well, I won't take any notice of that!!!

Apologies for delay answering this. I wanted to check this morning with our RDA chairman, who has organised our outing & has done all the bolshie pushing, shoving & finding out that she's very good at. Hence my ground level seat plus freebie...no one dares say "no" in her hearing:)

I suspect that some of the "official" rules specified for visitors will have to be relaxed somewhat for the para games. We have all been told that a packed lunch / tea is fine to take with us. These will necessarily include special foods for several disabled folk, so we don't anticipate any problems there. We will carry those in the soft-sided bags they advise which can be put under the seat.

It's drink that causes them problems. We are following someone's sensible idea of taking water bottles with us on the coaches. On arrival, any left-over water can be jettisoned but the empty bottle/s kept. Those can then be re-filled inside from the free water taps around (which they don't mention in the blurb). So a good cheap option unless you choose to buy other drinks in there.

She also said that when she went, there was no queue at all for the security check-- they just walked through.

Hope that's helpful.

Thank you for checking the situation as regards taking special needs food and drink into the Olympic venues, Stranding. The tip about taking in empty water bottles os especially useful.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:

Richard, is there an ISBN number for this, I've been trying to find it online and so far I have completely failed!

The Archangel

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Richard, is there an ISBN number for this, I've been trying to find it online and so far I have completely failed!

The Archangel

Gabe, there isn't. I bought it on M&S. Smiths stock it. The code on the hologram is L94039763. It should be available through the London 2012 online shop.

HTH

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Gabe, there isn't. I bought it on M&S. Smiths stock it. The code on the hologram is L94039763. It should be available through the London 2012 online shop.

HTH

Can't find it online anywhere but I'm sure I'll find it in my travels.....thanks for looking though.

The Archangel

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Indiana. Just the other day, I went to the State Fair. Worst part was trying to use the restroom. I have a weak right hip and weak right ankle due to Spina Bifida. Not really complaining, since I can walk under normal, daily circumstances but still...

You know moonlit, if you want to shake them up, check for independent living centers or other organizations that may know of a wheelchair group. Get them involved. If there aren't any in your state, start complaining. The fair SHOULD be accessible. Shame on them. Look for that wheelchair group. When I did that study, I was working with people with all kinds of disabilities. The most militant and hardcore were the wheelchair group. (this was New York State).
You should not have had those problems in a public area.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
watching the opening ceremony,didnt manage to watch it the first time......fantastic.

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
watching the opening ceremony,didnt manage to watch it the first time......fantastic.

Wonderful to be able to watch that for a first time!!!

Was it as much of a wow for you as all the reviews say it was?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful to be able to watch that for a first time!!!

Was it as much of a wow for you as all the reviews say it was?
yes,the lighting of the torch was just mind blowing,i dont know how anyone in the future will top that 

Last edited:
OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not that I'm selling newspapers, but todays Sunday Times has a superb Olympic Games souvenir magazine. The photos are stupendous.

I have also learned that the magazine is available on the Times Newspaper iPad app.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Richard Brown said:
Not that I'm selling newspapers, but todays Sunday Times has a superb Olympic Games souvenir magazine. The photos are stupendous.

I have also learned that the magazine is available on the Times Newspaper iPad app.

For non subscribers, will the magazine be sold internationally as a stand-alone?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
For non subscribers, will the magazine be sold internationally as a stand-alone?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

In short, I don't know. I do hope the parent company, News International does.

This links to the part of their website which covers the Sunday Times Magazine Spectrum edition in question. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/

Most reactions

Latest posts