The lamest criticism of the Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Jaseph, Mar 30, 2010.

1. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I had a kid who used to work at Best Buy - jeez you wouldn't believe the markup on some things. Good example are the monster cables -- His cost on a gold tipped HDMI cable would be about $5 -- Best Buy was selling them for $50.

I think the only people at Best Buy who make commission are the TV people - so the computer geeks couldn't care less. I would be they're all PC Gamers with systems they've build or enhanced themselves. Very few probably have lived the 'Mac' experience.

2. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I agree with what you say about those criticisms that were spread throughout the blogosphere about the iPad and I would like to offer you proof that part of what they say is wrong.

Because the iPad is a new way of doing, Apple did not want it to be stranded without software. They offered us the ability to use iPhone and iPod Touch software. That does absolutely not mean that it's limited in that way. Proof of which is I'm sure that software developped specifically for the iPad may not work on Touch and Iphone with all functions operating.

Second, the iPad is capable of multitasking. The OS software at this time is not ready for it although there is proof of multitasking at this time. Got to the Apple site and watch the newer demos. The iPod feature can run while you use other software. That is proof enough for a reasonable person...

3. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Apple has learned that you cannot put every desired feature into a new product. It would cost too much and be too bulky. Get the essential product on the market, and then see what becomes important. Some things are best corrected without being integral to the product. A camera makes sense in an iPhone or Touch, but not so much for the iPad. Many people will still have cell phones with them that will be easier to take pictures with. (BTW, the next gen iPhone is reported to have two cameras) I would suspect that the camera will become an option, rather than integral to the iPad.

Multi-tasking and Flash are just scare tactics by those trapped in their own limitations. I remember when Apple discontinued the floppy drives. The wailing that went on was tremendous. The number of add-on drives was scary How many floppy drives are around today? Flash is being retired because Apple said no to it. Eventually it would be replaced anyway, but now the web designers can say to customers, "Hey, you have XXXX million iPhones, XXXX million iPod Touch, and XXX million iPads that do not support Flash. We need to update to HTML5 and get a jump on the competition". Apple is doing all of us a favor by putting nails in the Flash coffin. As for multi-tasking, you can do mail and music in the background. For a portable device, there has to be some limits on what is being done in the background. As a huge multi-tasker, it can get fustrating at times, but I also think that it will not be too long before some additional m-t will be allowed.

4. brobar

brobar
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    And here upgrading from a 32" flat screen TV to a 50" flat screen TV I thought I was getting something better. I mean if the 50" is just a larger version of the 32" why would anyone want to upgrade?

OH... I remember... size matters!

I agree with those that say "calling it a larger iPod Touch is a compliment"! There are so many things that the iPod Touch is capable of (that I have or do use it for) that is just awesome other than the fact it is so hard to see and sometimes navigate on that tiny little screen. Now blow that thing up to a size to where I can read on it, more easily navigate on it using my finger, better (more user friendly) UIs because of the screen real-estate, etc... etc... etc... and now the experience is just that much better.

Of course I can watch the same movie on my 32" TV... but the viewing experience is just that much better on my 50"!

5. Jaseph

Jaseph
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The same rocket scientists will be scratching their heads when they get pink slips from Best Buy due to decreased sales volume.

6. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    This is a new concept in computing. You can only focus group so much until you have to release your product and see what happens. If flash becomes that big of a deal Apple will address it. If the iPad is lightening fast - multitasking won't become an issue. If not - it will and Apple will address.

You can argue almost every side of these arguments - but what counts is when this stuff hits the street and a million creative minds think up new ways to use and invent.

7. living2345

living2345
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    great post, enjoyed reading it

8. Dorje

Dorje
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm with brobar, calling it a gaint iPod Touch is hardly an insult to anyone who's used (and abused) their iPod Touch even without jailbreaking. What would you rather have a 9", 13", 15", or 17" laptop/netbook? 15" for me because it's big enough to be useful but not hogging that extra space in backpack that a 17" does.

A 9.7" iPod Touch has very different uses from a 3.5" because it is bigger and has more screen space. Take the iWork Apps, Omni products, the NOVA FPS, video watching, book reading. QED

It definately goes beyond that 'argument' in terms of hardware improvements but that is to be expected.

#18 Dorje, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  9. iDaryl

iDaryl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Gregg...

People are constantly saying, "My laptop does this and it can't...". I reply with, "Guess what idiot... IT'S NOT A LAPTOP!!". Jeez!! Why is that such a hard concept to grasp!! It's not supposed to be a netbook, a laptop, a PC, a Mac, an iPod Touch, or an iPhone!! It's sprinkled with a little bit of them all!!

It's perfect for what I need. I have a MacBook Pro, so I refuse to buy a crappy netbook (have yet to see a 'good' one). I'll use that if I need laptop functionality.

It's like trying to compare a Formula 1 cars with Rally cars, and NASCARs with Monster Trucks! See how stupid that sounds!! :)

10. HX_Guy

HX_Guy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Why are people so offended that it's called a giant iTouch?

It is a giant iTouch...AND THAT'S OK!

The iTouch (and iPhone) is a great product...the iPad takes that and improves on it, by giving it a bigger screen and more processing power.