What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad : the Swiss Army Knife of computers

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
the ipad is a great device... I wouldn't part with mine. I don't leave the house without it.

But.. I wouldn't call it a computer. It's more of an oversized ipod. If i were after a thin and portable computer, i'd go for a macbook air... But i'm not after a thin and mobile computer.. I love my oversized ipod :)

i have a micro processor driven device with input interface and output. It comes preloaded with an os and i can add additional software to it from a selection of tens of thousands of titles........sounds like a computer to me!

The archangel

xx2

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Nowadays, high-end calculators are computers.

Definition of a computer is a device (mechanical or electronic) that takes a command, does a process and returns a result. That is the "computer" in its simplest terms. Society has taken the word "computer" and has assigned media terms to it.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
But.. I wouldn't call it a computer. It's more of an oversized iPod.

In this technological age, I think we need to adopt a more open attitude to how you'd define a 'computer'. Wasn't that long ago that a computer was the size of a small car and required a degree in computer science to run. Today the iPad in my bag has more computing power than all the mainframes that sent Apollo 11 to the moon and back.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
In this technological age, I think we need to adopt a more open attitude to how you'd define a 'computer'. Wasn't that long ago that a computer was the size of a small car and required a degree in computer science to run. Today the iPad in my bag has more computing power than all the mainframes that sent Apollo 11 to the moon and back,

Lol, the first computer I used filled an entire room, with a small space for a chair in front of it, ticker tape input and 8 (I think) digit red LED screen........hmm, I'm only 21 you know, really, really, I just haven't worn so well!

The Archangel

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
In this technological age, I think we need to adopt a more open attitude to how you'd define a 'computer'. Wasn't that long ago that a computer was the size of a small car and required a degree in computer science to run. Today the iPad in my bag has more computing power than all the mainframes that sent Apollo 11 to the moon and back,

Lol, the first computer I used filled an entire room, with a small space for a chair in front of it, ticker tape input and 8 (I think) digit red LED screen........hmm, I'm only 21 you know, really, really, I just haven't worn so well!

The Archangel
LEDs existed then?:confused:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
But.. I wouldn't call it a computer. It's more of an oversized iPod.

In this technological age, I think we need to adopt a more open attitude to how you'd define a 'computer'. Wasn't that long ago that a computer was the size of a small car and required a degree in computer science to run. Today the iPad in my bag has more computing power than all the mainframes that sent Apollo 11 to the moon and back.

Don't u find that amazing how our iPads n smart phones has more computing power thn computers used back then to send people to the moon? It shows how fast exponentially technology evolves and gets smaller and smaller.

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
normanj said:
In my opinion, the best thing about the iPad is no one thing, but that it serves so many different functions: e-reader, video player, radio, web browser/ e-mailer, etc, etc. It's like the Swiss Army knife of computers.

Couldn't have put it better myself :)

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
iVan said:
:Warning, pebble about to reach pond:

Still, after ten months with my iPad, I can't help myself from dreaming of an autonomous MacTablet...

It will happen in a few years. Id say after the 5th or 6th gen ipad

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
:Warning, pebble about to reach pond:

Still, after ten months with my iPad, I can't help myself from dreaming of an autonomous MacTablet...

It will happen in a few years. Id say after the 5th or 6th gen ipad

Milking the cow are they?:p

5th or 6th gen iPad you say? That would mean...(counting on fingers) eleven months? Wow! That's not too far...;)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't u find that amazing how our iPads n smart phones has more computing power thn computers used back then to send people to the moon? It shows how fast exponentially technology evolves and gets smaller and smaller.

Not anymore - but the quantum leaps with microcomputers (itself a term which has become obsolete) during the 80s and 90s was quite extradordinary to experience. I'm a bit nostalgic sometimes for the days where the Cray X-MP with its blazing 105MHz CPU and 32MB memory was the most powerful "supercomputer" in the world.

Most reactions

Latest posts