What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad : the Swiss Army Knife of computers

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion, the best thing about the iPad is no one thing, but that it serves so many different functions: e-reader, video player, radio, web browser/ e-mailer, etc, etc. It's like the Swiss Army knife of computers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I was one of those guys who was initially sceptical and didn't want to be convinced. Then I went into an Apple Shop and tried one and I was convinced. I hardly used my laptop at all now; the iPad does most ever I want - Word processing, emails, the Internet - great battery life, great connectivity...

Tim
Scotland

S65AMG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I couldn't agree more. I was one of those guys who was initially sceptical and didn't want to be convinced. Then I went into an Apple Shop and tried one and I was convinced. I hardly used my laptop at all now; the iPad does most ever I want - Word processing, emails, the Internet - great battery life, great connectivity...

Tim
Scotland

Totally true! I was one of them too, I even said that having an iPod touch is more than enough until I put my hand on an iPad now my laptop and iPod touch is kind of obsolete.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent thread....IMHO the iPad is whatever you want it to be and mine is already way more than I imagined that it could be......you build a library of apps to meet your needs, mine covers both my home and business requirements. It may not do everything......yet, but my office laptop doesn't make the coffee yet either!

The Archangel

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion, the best thing about the iPad is no one thing, but that it serves so many different functions: e-reader, video player, radio, web browser/ e-mailer, etc, etc. It's like the Swiss Army knife of computers.

"Does many things" is just one aspect of it; the other differentiating factor is its portability. My laptop can easily do all the above things, but it is a total slab to carry around, let alone carry in one hand and use with the other.

To return to the Swiss army knife analogy: it not just does many things, it's also small and portable.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And the battery life......portability is a complete waste if the battery is drained by the time you get to the end of the street......so another thumbs up with the battery.

The Archangel

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score

"Does many things" is just one aspect of it; the other differentiating factor is its portability. My laptop can easily do all the above things, but it is a total slab to carry around, let alone carry in one hand and use with the other.

To return to the Swiss army knife analogy: it not just does many things, it's also small and portable.

You are absolutely right. I should have mentioned portability in my original post.

ricksipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still getting used to using my iPad as my computer. There are still things I have to do on my home desktop. But it is becoming my computer. I am debating signing up for 3g service or just getting the hotspot service on my iPhone. If I get hotspot, I lose my unlimited. But I never really come close to 2gb anyway. Decisions, decisions . . .

Reaction score
When my chain broke on my bike just before dark and I was several miles from my truck my Swiss Army bike tool was priceless.
Being unemployed, the executor of my dads estate and will, the Ipad has been priceless

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

dogenia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've probably had most of the Ipod's that came out. The switch from the Ipod touch to the Ipad was just seemless because of the similarities in both produts. In that respect I think Apple does a pretty good job in making their products usuable for the customers.

I recently went on a business trip and left my macbook at home and only carried the Ipad. At first I was a bit apprehensive but I never missed an email, always could open my spreadsheets, word documents and adobe pdf files. Even file transfers from the camera to the Ipad were seemless with the camera adapter kit. I use Dropbox for my files so the memory sticks and cd's are a thing of the past.

Awesome product in short.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:Warning, pebble about to reach pond:

Still, after ten months with my iPad, I can't help myself from dreaming of an autonomous MacTablet...

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad is a great device... I wouldn't part with mine. I don't leave the house without it.

But.. I wouldn't call it a computer. It's more of an oversized iPod. If I were after a thin and portable computer, I'd go for a MacBook Air... But I'm not after a thin and mobile computer.. I'm quite happy with my oversized iPod :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Very well put, Normanj. That should be apple's new slogan. It's catchy and fits it perfectly. The iPad is Truly the Jack of All Trades ;-)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
The iPad is a great device... I wouldn't part with mine. I don't leave the house without it.

But.. I wouldn't call it a computer. It's more of an oversized iPod. If I were after a thin and portable computer, I'd go for a MacBook Air... But I'm not after a thin and mobile computer.. I love my oversized iPod :)

I have a micro processor driven device with input interface and output. It comes preloaded with an OS and I can add additional software to it from a selection of tens of thousands of titles........sounds like a computer to me!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts