What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad mini 2 could be thicker to accommodate a bigger battery

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
i2013-iPad-mini2-iPad5.jpg

We all expect the second-generation iPad Mini to come equipped with Retina Display, but how could that affect other aspects of the device? According to accessory manufacturers present at a major Hong Kong electronics trade show, the iPad Mini 2 could be a fraction of a millimeter thicker as it would have to feature a larger battery need to power the energy-hungry Retina display.

Some iPad case makers were interviewed by Japanese website Macotakara at the China Sourcing Fair 2013 in Hong Kong who say that the second-generation iPad mini have a thickness of 7.5 millimeters, up from the original iPad Mini’s 7.2 millimeters. The Retina iPad Mini will also gain 0.2 millimeters in width.

This isn’t the first time Apple has to increase the thickness of its device, with the iPad 3 gaining 0.6 millimeters over the iPad 2, as well, caused by the inclusion of the Retina Display panel. However, the extra thickness and width won’t be noticeable to the human eye and you won’t feel too much of a difference when holding the tablet in your hand, either.

To remind you, Apple could release a slimmer, lighter full-sized iPad and a Retina display iPad mini at its rumored October 22 media event. Both iPads could come with iPhone-quality 8-megapixel rear cameras.

Do you mind the minuscule increase in the girth and width of the iPad Mini or as long as it behaves well, it doesn't really matter?

Source: AppleInsider

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
a millimeter thicker wouldnt hurt. hehehe. If OP didnt post this then definitely no one would notice that the mini 2 is thicker and heavier , i mean for normal people who just use it. Expect for people who do reviews then they will really notice a slight difference,

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
a millimeter thicker wouldnt hurt. hehehe. If OP didnt post this then definitely no one would notice that the mini 2 is thicker and heavier , i mean for normal people who just use it. Expect for people who do reviews then they will really notice a slight difference,

Probably not a mm, but the minis big claim to fame is its super portability and light weight. If either of those are compromised I'm sure the fan base will notice!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I wouldn't have noticed those subtle differences myself! Agree. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts