What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Flash Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't read the apparently heated debate on this subject and I have no idea why the iPad doesn't support Flash.

I can say that I have had two occasions in the last few days when I have had to ditch the iPad and fire up my PC to view a web pages the had Flash content. One bad aspect is that you don't even get told what the problem is, the page just doesn't work.

I accept that the iPad is not a notebook replacement, but one thing it should do is allow you to surf the www without having to reach for a PC.

Last edited:

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO the solution is simply for websites not to use Flash.

Flash is a nuisance, a pain in the a...

Sorry if this sounds like I'm ranting, but I have disabled Flash on my Mac and I simply refuse to use websites that require you to install it.
Flash is a huuuge security threat, it opens backdoors into your system enabling all sorts of trojans, virii and spyware to infect it.
Therefore I'm utterly grateful that Apple doesn't allow Flash on the iPad. And I sincerely hope that this won't change.

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and one important point I forgot to mention...
Flash drains your batteries in next to no time.
Take a Notebook and run Flash on it. You'll notice that it gets much warmer than usual and your battery won't last very long.
Imagine that on an iPad...
Or just ask someone who uses Flash on an Android-phone.
They have their experience with that issue already.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I am interested to know what the issues are.
Then, with all due respect, rather than start a whole new thread on a subject that has been discussed at length, you should take the time to read through the other thread that has been closed. Whatever "issues" there are with Flash, it has already been pretty well beaten to death in that thread.

Here is the link -- http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/10125-flash-why-so-important-ipad.html

There are 93 posts so it will take some time to absorb what is being said. Obviously some people are very passionate about the issue and are not shy when it comes to expressing their opinions.

Last edited:

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I accept that the iPad is not a notebook replacement, but one thing it should do is allow you to surf the www without having to reach for a PC.
Well, you can surf most of the web, but the bottom line is that the iPad cant handle a lot of flash content, so its not supported. I have used flash on a desktop for years and even developed some limited flash content. I have encountered a few issue, but not many. The main problem is that mobile device processors are not to the point where they can run all flash content well. I think a better solution would be for companies to make mobile versions of their sites that don't use flash.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Droid X can run Flash fine. All these other posts about security threats, draining your battery, etc are just talking points for Apple fanboys. There's no good reason why we can't have the choice to run Flash.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see what the debate is for. Flash is a on the web in a lot of web sites. The iPad don't support flash. Therefore, iPad is a crippled web browsing tool.

The fact that flash is an inferior display method and is a memory hog, is irrelevant, it is used on the web and a complete web browsing tool must support it.

I like my iPad but I DO NOT use it to browse the web. The fact that they included a web browser is ridiculous.

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed. And that's really the issue for me. We should have the choice to run what we want and don't want.

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see what the debate is for. Flash is a on the web in a lot of web sites. The iPad don't support flash. Therefore, iPad is a crippled web browsing tool.

The fact that flash is an inferior display method and is a memory hog, is irrelevant, it is used on the web and a complete web browsing tool must support it.

I like my iPad but I DO NOT use it to browse the web. The fact that they included a web browser is ridiculous.

I agree 100% on the first two sentences, but totaly lost the track on the third one.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I am interested to know what the issues are.
Then, with all due respect, rather than start a whole new thread on a subject that has been discussed at length, you should take the time to read through the other thread that has been closed. Whatever "issues" there are with Flash, it has already been pretty well beaten to death in that thread.

Here is the link -- http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/10125-flash-why-so-important-ipad.html

There are 93 posts so it will take some time to absorb what is being said. Obviously some people are very passionate about the issue and are not shy when it comes to expressing their opinions.

I agree with you 1991-C4.

Every time I see someone start a new thread moaning and groaning about the iPad not using Flash, it just amazes me.

Both sides may have valid points. The bottom line is, the iPad really doesn't do Flash right now. Nothing can be done about that at this time.

Too bad we can't have it automated so every time a new Flash thread starts, this image is automatically posted in the thread:
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here we ago again.

Look, Flash is NEVER coming to the iPad. Period. All the moaning and whining in the world is not gonna change that fact.

There are work-arounds, but they have already been mentioned in the other thread--or threads.

The iPad is selling incredibly well. That is a fact. If flash was as big an issue as some try to make it out to be that would not be happening.

Michael

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know right? Here we go again. AND there are some that actually bought the iPad knowing full well it didn't have flash and still bitch.

Go figure ~

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score

-------------------
I agree 100% on the first two sentences, but totaly lost the track on the third one.

What's not to understand, the web browser on the iPad is a half-assed browser without flash.

I don't do things that are half-assed, be they machines or humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts