1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

The failure of Open

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AQ_OC, Jul 8, 2013.

1. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    • Like Like x 1
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,903 / 1
    That was a very interesting read, thanks for posting the link.
  3. Spugnut

Spugnut iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good read. It goes to illustrate there is no real free lunch. You get what you pay for.
  4. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +814 / 1
    For me as a consumer willing to spend just a bit more for quality, I'm happy not to have to be involved in any more of those "malware patches" that I've had to put up with over the years. Whether they call it closed or sandboxed, whatever, I'm satisfied to use something that just works and is better protected from that nasty "open" world;) Just my 2c. Thanks also AQ_OC for an interesting read.
    Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Serving customers best always "wins." Most tech users need common, basic functionality, so delivering them effectively makes sense and profits. That's why so many things are mass produced -- cars, houses, clothes, etc.

The key to keeping things open is having the flexibility available for people who need more of it and fewer restrictions that keep them from doing what they need or want.

Most of us are fine living in homes that are massed produced by builders, for instance. That doesn't mean everyone should be blocked from the option of customization if they choose. There will always be people who need or want more. That includes companies that will keep emerging to sell to those customers. If they're willing, it's up to them to take risks -- including looking for niche opportunities, risking profits and losses, or failing at business.