What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Anything Goes" thread

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I considered posting this to the SciFi Discussion thread but since it seems closer to science fact than fiction ..............

AMD: Star Trek-like holodeck may be close to becoming reality | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

AA

Very interesting, AA.

The rate at which technologies are developing means that a number of science fiction ideas could become science fact very quickly. Certainly there are interesting advances in artificial sight. There have been experiments going on in the UK with blind people acting as guinea pigs.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I considered posting this to the SciFi Discussion thread but since it seems closer to science fact than fiction ..............

AMD: Star Trek-like holodeck may be close to becoming reality | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

AA

This was very interesting. I didn't know we're already that advanced in science.

Very interesting, AA.

The rate at which technologies are developing means that a number of science fiction ideas could become science fact very quickly. Certainly there are interesting advances in artificial sight. There have been experiments going on in the UK with blind people acting as guinea pigs.

Blind people acting as guinea pigs? What for?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the testing of the technology of artificial sight.

Like Geordi La Gorge in Star Trek?

Now I understand! When I read "guinea pig", I thought of the animal. I didn't know that it's used also for people/animals used in experiments. I've learned something new.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it surely is. I'm face booking with friends. Fire is burning and watching QI with Stephen Fry. Excellent program about what you think you know but you don't.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just felt I had to make a shout out that Plants vs zombies is FREE for a week. After I paid $7 for it last year, I'm furious! :mad:

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to play my guitar. I haven't touched one in years and I know my neighbors wouldn't stand for it, sometimes I wish I had time to play it.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This was very interesting. I didn't know we're already that advanced in science.

Blind people acting as guinea pigs? What for?

For developments in providing them with sight, J.A. In a programme about this, a blind lady was delighted in taking part. Her words were something like "I'm having a great time playing with these laboratory toys. When I am long gone, others will enjoy the benefits of the research."

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yesterday the newspapers and media carried a touching story about the funeral of a Royal Marine. I think he was in his 80s. He had no family or friends to attend his funeral. So the vicar put out an appeal on Facebook for people to attend the funeral.

Over 100 people and military turned out for the funeral an awarded him full military honours.

Most reactions

Latest posts