What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 4.2 Update killed my iPAD - Need help

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tiny umbrella will get you unstuck. I had the same result with my first update attempt (my iTunes needed reinstalling for successful upgrade so when you get unstuck, remove iTunes then reinstall). But search for tiny umbrella, connect iPad to computer run tiny umbrella and you'll see a button to kick out of recovery mode. When you click that your iPad will reboot and be back to start of update.

I've never been jail broke but have used the umbrella app.

Good to know, Brenn! I used Tiny Umbrella too and I was not JB.

I'm an idiot!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah, I made a thinker mistake earlier today and I'm no idiot. We's just got so much info inside it's hard to sort it out.

kyklopas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same problem as yours

I've Tried to update to 4.2 five times and it keeps say iTunes was unable to update a problem occurred. And it was stuck in recovery mode. Luckly I have a program called Ireb. And it fixes the loop so it's not stuck in recovery.
I have the same problem as you.Can you help me with this prog of yours.How can I get it and use it.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As if people are still having 4.2 problems.

It only took me about 7 minutes.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ireb or tiny umbrella will get your iPad out of DFU or restore mode unless there are some other issues than just stuck to restore/DFU mode. Just search for tiny umbrella or ireb in google and download the appropriate version according to your PC/Mac and then just run ireb or tiny umbrella and just hit the button that says something like "kick idevice out of recovery mode".

As for the update and restore,I prefer to download the firmware in my HDD and perform the update/restore as a break off in downloading the firmware might be painful and leave the iPad stuck in restore mode. And also update/restores is a serious process and is not for faint hearted,so if you are one of them,then I suggest you convince the apple support guys to do the updating and activating for you,or some experienced techy friends familiar with the process.

And I just wanted to say that iPad is a smart device which is hard to brick unless via physical damage etc.If you panic on being stuck on the recovery mode like that then I wonder you might have had a heart attack if you were in my shoes when I was updating my smartphone(not iPhone) firmware receiving instruction from a support guy on the phone(land phone) and my smartphone was bricked and later not even the support guys wanted to exchange or take responsibility for it until I bribed 'em a bit to kind of unbrick it by replacing the burned chips(according to the tech support guy) which resulted from the firmware update. So please respect your iPad and don't say it a "damn thing!".

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts