What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank goodness for folders!

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My games and apps were starting to pile up lately and it was a pain having to scroll back and forth from screen to screen to get to the game or app I was looking for.

Today, I discovered the option to create folders (which couldn't be easier). Now all of my icons are well organized in folders and all within 2 screens.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coming from Android and Windows environments, I would have been appalled if there were no folder option. It was one of the first features I looked for when I received my iPad 2.

Customization of the screens is still limited compared to other environments. Widgets would be useful. The rigid "grid" design is a PITA. And the absence of the ability to select a "home" screen is likewise disappointing. The limitation f six "always visible" apps is frustrating at times.

Still, with folders the iPad provides a usable level of customized organization of a large set of apps. Hopefully, the iPad's user interface options will continue to evolve.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You can work within the system. The first screen is the home screen. you can have single apps on the home screen you use most often then have the folders on the subsequent screen(s). Hit the Home button once, you go back to the main screen.

While I would not mind having a weather widget, personally, I cannot think of another I would really need all the time. But that is me.

I have all 326 (added one today) apps in folders on my screen with my 6 most used on the bottom. Works well and I am used to it enough that I hardly have to look when I am going to start specific apps.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can work within the system. The first screen is the home screen. you can have single apps on the home screen you use most often then have the folders on the subsequent screen(s). Hit the Home button once, you go back to the main screen.

While I would not mind having a weather widget, personally, I cannot think of another I would really need all the time. But that is me.

I have all 326 (added one today) apps in folders on my screen with my 6 most used on the bottom. Works well and I am used to it enough that I hardly have to look when I am going to start specific apps.

No. The first screen is my daughter's screen. :D No option on that. Widgets are a mixed blessing. They're extremely useful in the Android environment mainly to provide real time information that would otherwise require opening an app. The downside is that they depend upon true multi-tasking and can drain battery power.

The six icon limit on the bottom of the screen works OK. But on my android phone I can swipe the bottom row and expose more icons without affecting what else is on the screen.

And finally, my phone allows me to have the same icon on multiple screens. Can't do that on the iPad and as a result my daughter is constantly moving Angry Birds from the bottom of the screens into her "Games" folder. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. The first screen is my daughter's screen

Nice. Thank you for the "No" as if I had any idea that your iPad was shared with other people.

Sorry. Saying "No!" has become a habit with a six year old in the house. Actually, the inability to set up an iPad adequately for multiple users is probably my biggest gripe about the product. Separate accounts would be a godsend on that score.

As a substitute, the capacity to create more customized screens than the iPad currently allows would be a help. And as I noted above, the ability to create separate folders was a bottom line requirement.

I do understand that Apple has a somewhat different philosophy with regard to the iPad. It's seen as a purely personal device and Apple invests a lot in providing a common user interface and functionality for all customers. From a business standpoint all of that is understandable. Purely personal iPads designed for a single user encourages more iPad sales. A consistent and common look and feel simplifies support and avoids potential application conflicts.

At the same time every customer is different with different requirements. Making the iPad work optimally for every different consumer is a challenge that will probably never be fully satisfied.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folders have been around for a couple of years I've been using them on my iPhone 3G for ages. On both the phone and the iPad I have folders called "Games" and "Photography" that contain all the apps that relate to those activities. I would say that saves me at least two screens.

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folders have been around for a couple of years I've been using them on my iPhone 3G for ages. On both the phone and the iPad I have folders called "Games" and "Photography" that contain all the apps that relate to those activities. I would say that saves me at least two screens.

I thought folders came in iOS 4. Either way it was long overdue as was copy and paste functionality in iOS.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coming from Android and Windows environments, I would have been appalled if there were no folder option. It was one of the first features I looked for when I received my iPad 2.

Customization of the screens is still limited compared to other environments. Widgets would be useful. The rigid "grid" design is a PITA. And the absence of the ability to select a "home" screen is likewise disappointing. The limitation f six "always visible" apps is frustrating at times.

Still, with folders the iPad provides a usable level of customized organization of a large set of apps. Hopefully, the iPad's user interface options will continue to evolve.

One tip that I picked up from other users was to put a collection of essential apps into a folder and then to dock this folder as one of the six "alway visible" icons.

This has worked out very well.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bastones said:
I thought folders came in iOS 4. Either way it was long overdue as was copy and paste functionality in iOS.

Yes, but it took many months for the iPad 1 to get iOS 4, whereas the iPhone and iTouch had it long before.

I don't know if Android has them, but it might be nice if Apple would consider nested folders. :)

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My games and apps were starting to pile up lately and it was a pain having to scroll back and forth from screen to screen to get to the game or app I was looking for.

Today, I discovered the option to create folders (which couldn't be easier). Now all of my icons are well organized in folders and all within 2 screens.

hi im new to ipad,i have ipad2,how do i put apps ect into folders and does it save space on the hard drive?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
hi im new to ipad,i have ipad2,how do i put apps ect into folders and does it save space on the hard drive?

Hi poinsonivy. Just drag one app icon directly over the other and release (two that should be in the same folder :) ) and voila! No space saved, though it makes things easier to manage.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

One tip that I picked up from other users was to put a collection of essential apps into a folder and then to dock this folder as one of the six "alway visible" icons.

This has worked out very well.

Good point. My bad for not mentioning that approach (which I use). There's no question that the single level hierarchy enabled with folders (i.e. you cannot put folders in folders) provides an organization tool that most users will find sufficient to meet their needs.

It's not a big problem for me. Once you've learned and accepted the limitations Apple imposes for the iPad user interface (which derive in part from limitations that are less problematic on the small screen of iPhone, I suspect.) a relatively efficient setup can be constructed.

Still I find many of the limitations both puzzling and annoying. Why can't I put an icon anywhere on the screen rather than in the rigid grid structure next to another icon? As noted above, why can't I put folders in folders? Why can't I have a weather or news widget that stays updated and is displayed in real time? Why do I have to explicitly open iBooks and examine my library before I can access the book I'm reading? Why can't I just put the book on my screen and access it with a single touch? Same question for a music playlist.

In fact, I know (or suspect I know) the answers to some of these questions. Apple's pseudo-multitasking is partly to blame. A decision on Apple's part to simplify management code at the expense of user convenience is another. (And that may be a good decision if it means performance of the iPad is more predictable.)

By the way, that last point is especially important, I suspect. Studies of user experience have long established that the speed of a user interface is less important than predictability. If a particular action always takes, say, three seconds to complete, a user will believe the device is performing faster than a comparable device that varies between one and three seconds to perform the same action, despite the fact that on average the latter device has better overall performance.

I strongly suspect that Apple places limitations on a user's ability to customize the user interface in order to maintain the widely praised "smoothness" in the performance of the iPad (and iPhone.) Letting users fill up screens with widgets, for example, may impact overall performance unpredictably. And for most users, that's a bad thing.

Most reactions