What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried sending somebody a text from my iPad and it comes up in red and it says this person is not registered with iMessages. I can text her from my new iPhone 11, but not my iPad. I never had this before. I was able to text her from a group text though. How can I fix this. Thanks. I have text forwarding on though.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On your iPhone, under Settings > Messages go to Text Message Forwarding. Make sure your iPad is listed and turned on.

iPads can’t actually send SMS Texts. When they see a person who is not on iMessage (Apple’s message service) they can only send texts through a paired iPhone.

When turned on, it is seamless, and it looks like the iPad has native SMS texting; even when the iPhone is off or out of range.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On your iPhone, under Settings > Messages go to Text Message Forwarding. Make sure your iPad is listed and turned on.

iPads can’t actually send SMS Texts. When they see a person who is not on iMessage (Apple’s message service) they can only send texts through a paired iPhone.

When turned on, it is seamless, and it looks like the iPad has native SMS texting; even when the iPhone is off or out of range.
Thanks, I got it to work.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet.
Can you please clarify your post a little for me?
I cannot send text messages via "message" on my iPad Mini 4, unless I tether the iPad to "on" iPhone.
Are you saying that there is another way to send texts from iPad?
My iPad does not have a cellular connection, only WiFi to a phone with cellular connection.
Also I have no "regular" WiFi just hotspot to iPhone.
Many thanks in anticipation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Message app on iPads is limited to using Apple’s iMessage service. It can only send messages to other Apple devices, and only when it has an internet connection. On a wi-fi only iPad, that would mean when you are on a network.

If the iPad is paired with an iPhone, it will be able to send SMS messages as well; but again, it needs the internet. This time to communicate with the iPhone’s SMS service. So, still only when on a wi-fi network, or when connected to the iPhone’s Hotspot (internet).

(While I can’t think of why the iPad would not be able to send SMS while using the iPhone’s Hotspot, I’ve never actually tested this)

The Message app always defaults to iMessage if the other person is using iOS. iMessage is far more capable than SMS, and is end-to-end encrypted.

SMS has only one real advantage. It’s everywhere, on pretty much ever cellphone modern enough to still be in service.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet.
Thanks for the clarification.
Perhaps you can advise about the "send & receive" section in iMessage settings.
My iPad seems to allow in "you can receive imessages to and reply from" only two entries. I.e a cell phone number and an email address.
Is it possible to add more? I don't get the option to do so.
Thanks in anticipation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The receive and reply section is built based on the accounts you have set up in Settings > Passwords & Accounts. It also includes your phone number, if the iPhone’s Text Message Forwarding is enabled for your iPad (setting on iPhone).

There is some other criteria for including the email address, but I’m not sure what it is. For instance, my gmail email address shows up as selectable for receive/reply, but my yahoo email does not. All my old Apple email aliases also show up. You can select as many of these as you like in the top list.

The bottom ‘Start Conversation From’ list will show everything selected in the top list; but you can only select one.

Another words, you can be contacted and reply to any selected address in the top list, but you can only initiate a new conversation from one address. The one selected in the bottom list.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I got really lucky in my set up. I can text( both iMessage and SMS/MMS ) and make and receive calls on my WiFi only iPad. I was running blind at the time, and went on guesswork and intuition. I might add that if you are having issues with an email account, it could be the provider. My go daddy based email is a mess, and to send out from it on any platform, I have to go to the webmail page! I can receive and edit, but never send out. It is go daddy’s fault, and they have NO idea what they’ve done....Oh well, it’s not my primary address, I have three total, and all seamlessly dump into the same inbox here on my Apple devices. Oh, well....... L

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet.
Thanks for replying and for that level of detail.
I could not get any more accounts to show in "send and receive" section.
But no worries all works well enough with what I have.

Most reactions

Latest posts