What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text-wrap in browser?

Reaction score
Well, this gray Reader box shows up on my iPhone, also, so I don't think it's only for the iPad.

The only thing I can tell you is that I don't see the box on all web sites. I don't know why, it may be how the web site is displayed. Maybe that's what you are experiencing?

Sorry, but that's all I've got.

Marilyn
Thanks for the speedy reply. Is there a website for which it does display that you can give the URL so I can test it? I'm not seeing it at nytimes.com or google or wikipedia. Also, is there a way I can verify that I have the right version of Safari, or is that not relevant and that it just matters that I have iOS 5? Thanks again.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, now that struck me (immediately!) as odd, that you don't get the gray Reader box with Wikipedia. So, here's a picture of my iPad1 screen after I did a query on Wikipedia. Now, it took a bit, because the site has to fully load, but the gray box came up at the end of the loading session. See here:

Safari.jpg

If you type in the URL from the picture and still don't get this Reader box, are on iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1, then may I suggest you make a backup of your iPad (to save your contacts and email information) and do a restore of your iPad. This is because, IMHO, there is something wrong with your Safari version - but you can't delete and re-install a stock app (you have to do the restore).

If you do a restore, you'll end up with iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad (just so's you know). But, you might/should get a properly working Safari.

Or - you could take the iPad to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. Maybe they can figure out why it's not working...?

Sorry to not be of better help - but you not seeing the Reader button (on web sites I CAN) has me stumped.

Marilyn

Reaction score
Okay, now that struck me (immediately!) as odd, that you don't get the gray Reader box with Wikipedia. So, here's a picture of my iPad1 screen after I did a query on Wikipedia. Now, it took a bit, because the site has to fully load, but the gray box came up at the end of the loading session. See here:

View attachment 8541

If you type in the URL from the picture and still don't get this Reader box, are on iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1, then may I suggest you make a backup of your iPad (to save your contacts and email information) and do a restore of your iPad. This is because, IMHO, there is something wrong with your Safari version - but you can't delete and re-install a stock app (you have to do the restore).

If you do a restore, you'll end up with iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad (just so's you know). But, you might/should get a properly working Safari.

Or - you could take the iPad to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. Maybe they can figure out why it's not working...?

Sorry to not be of better help - but you not seeing the Reader button (on web sites I CAN) has me stumped.

Marilyn
The picture verifies what I thought it should look like. When I did the update it automatically triggered a restore, but there was an error message part way through...
Editing: I'm at work now with a faster connection and the updates completed automatically.
The Reader box is there!
Yay!
But not on the website where I really wanted to use it. Boo.
So I guess I'll try the Atomic browser.
Thanks again for your replies.

Last edited:

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My experience is that the reader button appears on some websites but not all. I wonder why.

Reaction score
My experience is that the reader button appears on some websites but not all. I wonder why.
This article from CNET describes when it will and won't work. Basically, it has to be a "single article." I guess posts on boards like this are each considered an article, so it won't work on message boards. It also doesn't work with frames, which message boards may use.

Regarding text wrapping: Atomic Browser Lite (the free version) wraps enlarged text when you turn it sideways (horizontal).

Last edited:

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This article from CNET describes when it will and won't work. Basically, it has to be a "single article." I guess posts on boards like this are each considered an article, so it won't work on message boards. It also doesn't work with frames, which message boards may use.

Regarding text wrapping: Atomic Browser Lite (the free version) wraps enlarged text when you turn it sideways (horizontal).

Dear all

Now I am in iOS 6 and still the text doesn't wrap on safari after pinch and zoom

The grey reader ikon does NOT appear on all web pages ( same as mention on this thread a year ago !!! )

Does one have to still run around to other browsers ( like atomic or whatever ) or is there some hope in safari ?

I tried installing the readeability book marklet but that too does NOT work on all pages ( again checked on safari )

SO IT BOILS DOWN TO word wrap on safari OR whatever browser after pinch and zoom

Any help , tips, workaround (free ) would be appreciated whole heatedly

TIA
regards

Subu

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread on bookmarklets: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html

One bookmarklet you can install will allow you to increase font size via text reflow. You won't have to zoom in further (and move the page back and forth). This bookmarklet makes it so you can tap it and just the text will get larger.

Look in the first post for the JavaScript code (under the title "Increase Font Size).

I use it all the time in Safari and it works great for me. Here's hoping it'll work for you, too.

Marilyn

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread on bookmarklets: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html

One bookmarklet you can install will allow you to increase font size via text reflow. You won't have to zoom in further (and move the page back and forth). This bookmarklet makes it so you can tap it and just the text will get larger.

Look in the first post for the JavaScript code (under the title "Increase Font Size).

I use it all the time in Safari and it works great for me. Here's hoping it'll work for you, too.

Marilyn

Dear Marilyn

Thanks for the quick response

Appreciate you sharing a lot of codes / java scripts

Luckily for me , i solved the " the increase front size and word wrap in ipad safari .." Issue yesterday reading another web site ( and using the code there )

Today when I read your post I thought I'd use the *save as PDF function*

When I try that bookmarklet ...yeah follow the steps to create a book mark, edit it , copy paste your script, save / done etc, the save to PDF does NOT work for me

At help in where I am going wrong would be most appreciated

Thanks

Regards

Subu

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh, weird. I just tried it and it works for me. So, here it is without all the forum quotes - just the code:

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

See if that's what you have?

If the above doesn't work, please paste your JavaScript that's in your bookmarks. Sometimes, a fresh set of eyes helps...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts