What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text message went though to iphone3gs useing ipad3 wifi only! Is this possible to use

Adrian23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello i just got my ipad3 and tryed to sent a text message to my wife to her 3gs and was very suprised it went through. I have the wifi only model. How is this working??

Iam i getting billed extra for this??? I have unlimited plans on both my 4s and 3gs but not sure if this is even related.

Please help. adrian

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Both devices sound like they have iMessage set-up. If the message bubble is blue, it's iMessage. If green, traditional text.

enthous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do this with my son. I've got the iPad and he's got an iPhone. It's really nice. My daughter has both an iPad and iPhone, and she sees them in both places. I can send a message using her email (the iPad) or her phone number (the iPhone); she sees all of them on both devices. I've always assumed the ones going to iPad, being wifi only are free, but the ones going to her phone will look like text messages on her phone line. I plan to look at the next phone bill and see if I can tell.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This may help.

iOS: About Messages

Notice the note under iMessage; that the iPhone may revert to SMS or MMS if an internet connection is not available. This can be turned on/off on the iPhone.

Messages is the app.
iMessages is the service.

An iPad only uses the iMessages service for Messages.

An iPhone may use iMessages, SMS, and MMS, depending on your settings.

iMessages itself will act as a bridge between an iPHone's SMS/MMS services and the iMessage only iPad when the internet is not available on the iPhone. Again, depending on the settings on the iPhone.

Most reactions

Latest posts