Tethering?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Crisz, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Crisz

Crisz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am curious to know if I can tether from my iPhone to my iPad 2 Wifi only. If so, how do I do this?

2. Irish Rose

Irish Rose
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    In order to do this without paying an extra fee to your wireless carrier each month, you will need to jailbreak your iPhone. Once you have done this, you can download one of two well known tethering apps in Cydia called; PDANet (recommend if you have AT&T), or MyWi. Both of these apps will allow you to tether your iPhone with your iPad 2.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

3. Crisz

Crisz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    But, I can tether without jail breaking for a monthly fee. I don't know the first thing about jail break...lol!

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You don't list a location, so this may be irrelevant. In the U.S. you need to have your carrier (either AT&T, or Verizon) add the tethering plan. It costs $20 a month and has a 2GB limit. Once you do that you will have a new Hotspot item in your iPhones settings. There you can turn it on, give the hotspot a name, and set the password.

Once activated, set up, and turned on, you can join that hotspot just like any other wireless network. It will even work for your computers, up to five devices.

I believe the feature is only available for iPhone 3GS and newer, if that applies. There is also a bluetooth tether option available for the iPhone 4. It is a little harder to set up and slower, but less visible to passersby.

5. Crisz

Crisz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help :)

6. noddy

noddy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've just changed my plan with O2. I'm now on an iPhone 1gb plan which includes tethering. For what i do, 1gb is plenty.
    Only problem is, I have a 3GS handset and for some unknown reason, the wifi tethering isn't an option- only Bluetooth and USB. Since you can't connect an iPhone and iPad together with a USB cable, it's Bluetooth only. Having said that, it works and pairs straight away. I'd prefer the wifi option though.

Does anyone know why Apple have omitted the wifi tethering from the 3GS? Especially as they still sell them here in 8gb form. Before mine activated, it stated in the setting menu that it was wifi.

7. dobbey

dobbey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    From what I've heard it's iPhone 4 only

Sent from my Desire HD using iPad Forums

8. NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The hotspot plan is extra??? True with Droid also? Verizon?

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    In the US, yes it is extra from both AT&T and Verizon, who have almost identical Hotspot plans for the iPhone 4. And yes, when I had my Droid X the hotspot plan cost the same $20. My data plan for the phone itself is unlimited. I'm not certain if that is still an option on Verizon. I've heard they are/were considering tiered plans similar to other carriers, but since I payed full price for my iPhone I am still on the same contract as when I had the Droid X.

10. NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    So given that I would use it sporadically to connect my iPad to the Internet when I didn't have other wifi available, wouldn't I be better off with the iPad wifi plan which I can turn on and off if I want too? I thought you could use the mobile hot spot at no extra charge (silly me!) I have unlimited data plan for my Droid with Verizon. Due for a new phone next month. Now i'm not sure which one to get... New HTC or iPhone 4.....