What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethering with HTC Wildfire S

H

hazi1610

Hi, hope this is the right place to post this.

Long story but due to major issues with BT, I have cancelled my home broadband. I have ordered a new contract with Three which gives me as much data as I can eat. The phone I am getting is the HTC Wildfire S. Not the best phone but it will do.

Anyway, I know I will need to root it before I can tether to the iPad.

Just wondering if anybody else on these forums has that handset and if they rooted it and if so, is it really as difficult as it appears to the according to the instructions I have been looking at on the forums.

I know this isn't an ipad issue but was hoping somebody might have some experience.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

johannbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi1610 said:
Hi, hope this is the right place to post this.

Long story but due to major issues with BT, I have cancelled my home broadband. I have ordered a new contract with Three which gives me as much data as I can eat. The phone I am getting is the HTC Wildfire S. Not the best phone but it will do.

Anyway, I know I will need to root it before I can tether to the iPad.

Just wondering if anybody else on these forums has that handset and if they rooted it and if so, is it really as difficult as it appears to the according to the instructions I have been looking at on the forums.

I know this isn't an ipad issue but was hoping somebody might have some experience.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi!

I have HTC Desire S, and tethering with that phone does not require any rooting. Just turn on Wi-Fi Hotspot and connect to it as any other wireless network. I guess it is the same wit Wildfire.

Cheers
Johann

OP
H

hazi1610

Oh please oh please let that be the case with the Wildfire S. I really don't want to go through the rooting process as it's a nightmare with htc phones. Lol.

I had to root my galaxy s in order to do it, hopefully now, with the wildfire, I will be spared. Lol.

Thank you for the information.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DH also has an HTC desire and it is a breeze to connect up with the iPad. It only occurred to us recently that we could do that with it. We recently changed to BT from AOL because AOL's customer service was so awful, but the main attraction to BT was the ability to tap in to BT fon and open zone sites. As I don't have a 3G iPad, or a smart phone, this has been really handy, but with the benefit of being able to use DH's phone anywhere there isn't a BT hotspot, we are really sorted now for wifi coverage in most situations. Hope you find the Wildfire as easy to connect up.

KeithDib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I also use the hotspot function of my wildfire without any problems, my iPad is jailbroken but there is no need for this..

Simply turn on the wifi hotspot on the wildfire, change the default password as they all use the same and you don't want anyone using your connection.

Go to network on the iPad and select your wildfire and enter password... That's it!

Keith

wmontg5988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to share my mysterious finding, I have an HTC HD2 which at first had no luck tethering via Bluetooth. I normally share Internet with the wife to her laptop via Bluetooth using the included Internet sharing program. I noticed one day just after tethering wifey's laptop that I got a push notice to connect to the tmobile Leo. Hmmmm, guess apple forgot something????

wmontg5988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the wildfire have Internet sharing program that uses the bluetooth to tether?

OP
H

hazi1610

Thanks for those replies. I now have my wildfire s, bit of a naff phone but it will have to do until I can get an iphone.

I'm finding 3g speeds are bad in comparison to my neighbour who lives upstairs. We did side by side tests and he was getting 5mbps and best I got was 3. Hoping it's just teething problems. Contract was only activated today. I took out The One Plan on Three, same tariff as my neighbour so no idea why our speeds should differ so drastically other than it must be the phone.

jac46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi hopefully you are still looking at this thread. So I take it you managed to get your laptop tethered to the htc. How did you do it in the end?
John

OP
H

hazi1610

jac46 said:
Hi hopefully you are still looking at this thread. So I take it you managed to get your laptop tethered to the htc. How did you do it in the end?
John

Yes, I did but ended up returning the phone as it was so rubbish, poor antenna, poor speed on data connection. Managed to get Three to do a phone swap for me and they let me have a Galaxy S which is sooooo much better and I'm getting four times the speed. Brilliant.

I have no home broadband anymore so rely on tethering for my internet. Not missing home broadband so far. Won't have a landline soon either as I decided to ditch that too. Sometimes I need to call 0845 numbers which cost more but that's all I ever really use my landline for so didn't see the point keeping it.

Anythig to save some money. Lol

OP
H

hazi1610

jac46 said:
John

Sorry, you asked how I did it, I only connect to my ipad really but you enable tethering on the phone by going to settings, wireless and networks, scroll down to tethering and enable wireless tethering there. Then you go to the settings on the ipad and go to wifi and the phone should show up in a list of available networks so you tap on the one you want to join. To make it secure, you need to add a password on the handset, otherwise it's open. On the computer, you click on the connection icon in the system tray at the bottom right and it should come up with a list of available networks. You do pretty much the same thing as you do with the ipad.

There is also an app on the Android Market called Wireless Tether but you need to be rooted to use tha and I don't know how to root the Wildfire,

jac46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for that really appreciate it So hopefully it is possible and wont be too tricky. Getting it tomorrow, its a works phone but sometimes I need to use it as a modem when onsite. Got a really old HTC tilt but I mean a really old one, so being replaced.

Know what you mean about the land line and money saved if you can do without.
Thanks
John

OP
H

hazi1610

jac46 said:
Hi thanks for that really appreciate it So hopefully it is possible and wont be too tricky. Getting it tomorrow, its a works phone but sometimes I need to use it as a modem when onsite. Got a really old HTC tilt but I mean a really old one, so being replaced.

Know what you mean about the land line and money saved if you can do without.
Thanks
John

Glad to have been of help, no reason why it shouldn't work. Enjoy your new phone.

from Alison, sent from my IPad2

Most reactions