What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethering 3G iPad to Android phone

wc_eend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, I'm pretty new here so I hope I posted this in the rightboard.

On to the main point: I have a 3G iPad (iOS 4.2 jailbroken) and what want to do is broadcast my iPad's 3G as a wifi signal (like the iPhone 4 can now do with iOS 4.3) so I can use certain functions of my Android phone (HTC Desire with Froyo), like Google Navigation for instance while I'm on the road. I tried the mywi app, but that only broadcasts an adhoc signal (which Android phones cannot receive). I would also like to stress that the other way around (iPad connecting to phone) is no option because my phone has no data plan with it. Thanks for helping.

OP
W

wc_eend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have the free trial version, so I haven't actually bought it yet

Edit: just tried via blutooth, both devices can find each other but that's about it

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear that Bluetooth does not work.

There are only 3 mediums which can be used for tethering: Wifi, Bluetooth and USB, the latter only works with PC's and as you found out, is this also true for Bluetooth. Which brings us back to Wifi. At the current state, there is no software available to create an Infrastructure networks, only Ad-hoc.

Now, there is one last option and that is to get the Android phone connect to the iPad's Ad-hoc network. Stock Android does not support this and it definitely is not a neat solution, but if you root Froyo, and then tether over Wifi with the same network name and password as your iPad's Ad-hoc network, both devices will be on the same wireless network and be able to use the Internet.

Due to a lack of alternatives, this is the best solution I can offer you.

Baytorck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up rooting my phone and now it works like a charm. Thanks a million mate
I have ipad 1 3g jailbroken with mywi. My android phone is Htc sensation xl with 2.3.5. How to route the phone and do i need to add any apps for the phone. I'm still new on android. The reason i like to tether with my ipad is that both carry different network carriers and the ipad data package has more quota. Thanks in advance.

Most reactions

Latest posts