What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tethered shooting with the ipad?

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I'm assuming that you mean photographic shooting (I can't figure out what else you could mean). I do this with a laptop tethered to my Nikons and OnOne DSLR Remote software. Once the laptop is talking to the camera, the iPad talks to the system (the laptop and iPad communicate through a local wireless router) and you can immediately see what shots you have taken and control the exposure (if you have purchased the pro version). I used this successfully with my iPohne and my iPod, but while I have the same software loaded on my iPad, I have not proven that it will work the same as as the smaller devices. Is this even close to what you are talking about?

OP
L

liberty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. I should have explained better:)
So you have to be tethered to a laptop with onone software and then how does it get to the ipad? I think I read that onone now has an app for the ipad.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I had not seen the iPad-specific software, but I'm not surprised. I will have to get that.

When you start the iPad (or iPod/iPhone) app, it starts looking for the "server" (through the wireless router - and I think you need to have already coordinated the laptop and the iPad with that router). And now I'm blank because it's been so long since I did it, I can't remember. But you can get both the laptop and iPad software for free to start playing with it to see if it fits your needs. Then if it does I would recommend buying the $20 version for more precise control.

In my case its only limitation is that it needs a router (they may have improved it to talk "peer-to-peer" but I don't know that). When I'm out in the boonies there are no routers available!

EDIT

I just looked for the iPad app. They have seen us coming! They now want $50 for the pro iPad app! Outrageous!!!

Last edited:

Jon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OneOne dslr remote app works quite well. Just make sure your dlsr is supported and you understand the setup. I've used it a few times for macro shooting and for letting a client follow the shoot.

Setup: ( -----is USB cable and ~~~~is wireless )

Dslr------------------laptop~~~~~~~~~wifi hotspot~~~~~~~~~~iPad

Did that make any sense?

/Jon

OP
L

liberty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thansk so much! That makes sense:)
But I shoot Sony and it is not supported:(

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am still waiting for a standalone app that can use the camera connection kit to connect to the camera and use the iPad as the remote without a PC or network involved. I love Canon's Software for doing this on a PC, and can only imagine the fun to be had with the iPad in the field. Plus you'd get to take advantage of this big beautiful display! EOS Utility App PLEASE!!! Of course i don't think I would bother recording directly to iPad in that situation, but who knows? I don't know how fast the data transfer could be.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
danielgfreeman said:
I am still waiting for a standalone app that can use the camera connection kit to connect to the camera and use the iPad as the remote without a PC or network involved. I love Canon's Software for doing this on a PC, and can only imagine the fun to be had with the iPad in the field. Plus you'd get to take advantage of this big beautiful display! EOS Utility App PLEASE!!! Of course i don't think I would bother recording directly to iPad in that situation, but who knows? I don't know how fast the data transfer could be.

If you want something tethered to the camera, why not just use the laptop that is running the onOne application? What I like is being able to be remote and wireless and see what is in the viewfinder before taking the pic.

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want something tethered to the camera, why not just use the laptop that is running the onOne application? What I like is being able to be remote and wireless and see what is in the viewfinder before taking the pic.[/QUOTE]

Currently i am tethering my laptop using the EOS Utility, which allows for all the in camera aspects to be adjusted as well as composition and focus right from the application. I photograph many places where taking my laptop is either not an option or is just too much clutter. I f iwas able to take advantage of the portability andn superior display from the iPad for this it would make life much easier. With the use of the Camera Connection Kit i dont see why there should be any problem to create such an app, but alas, i am not a developer. Surely there is someone who will make this a possibilty!! After all the ipad has all but replaced my laptop in my daily work and life. I would sure love to be able to use the gorgeous display to view a composition of an early sunrise for example.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Currently i am tethering my laptop using the EOS Utility, which allows for all the in camera aspects to be adjusted as well as composition and focus right from the application. I photograph many places where taking my laptop is either not an option or is just too much clutter. I f iwas able to take advantage of the portability andn superior display from the iPad for this it would make life much easier. With the use of the Camera Connection Kit i dont see why there should be any problem to create such an app, but alas, i am not a developer. Surely there is someone who will make this a possibilty!! After all the ipad has all but replaced my laptop in my daily work and life. I would sure love to be able to use the gorgeous display to view a composition of an early sunrise for example.
Daniel, I assumed that you knew of onOne software's remote control app (but it sounds as if you don't - so I apologize in advance if this is not news and isn't helpful). OnOne's app called "DSLR Remote" provides an interface between the camera and the laptop and then also provides the iPad (or iPod or iPhone) software to wirelessly talk to the laptop that is tethered to the camera. It appears that you now have to buy the app. When I first used it there was a free version, but perhaps since they have gotten their foot in the door that freebie has dissolved. So, while you still need some sort of laptop to provide the interface to the camera (there has to be something wired to the camera to turn the camera output into an RF signal to talk to the iDevices), it can be a small device (I have used a net book in the past). If this doesn't fit your needs, I'm not sure what you want is yet available.

Good luck,

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Daniel, I assumed that you knew of onOne software's remote control app (but it sounds as if you don't - so I apologize in advance if this is not news and isn't helpful). OnOne's app called "DSLR Remote" provides an interface between the camera and the laptop and then also provides the iPad (or iPod or iPhone) software to wirelessly talk to the laptop that is tethered to the camera. It appears that you now have to buy the app. When I first used it there was a free version, but perhaps since they have gotten their foot in the door that freebie has dissolved. So, while you still need some sort of laptop to provide the interface to the camera (there has to be something wired to the camera to turn the camera output into an RF signal to talk to the iDevices), it can be a small device (I have used a net book in the past). If this doesn't fit your needs, I'm not sure what you want is yet available.

Good luck,

I don;t understand why everytime I post on this topic people assume either that I dont know about the current wireless to PC tether options or that I want to go wireless to iPad from Camera. That is not it at all. I want an app that utilizes Apple's Camera Connection Kit (whick works quite well) to have a wired tether to camera. I love using the EOS Utility to capture timed frames and of course shooting direct to hard drive, but it would be sooooo awesome to be able to do all this from an iPad with NO PC involved!! I hate lugging around more gear than necessary especially when hiking in to location. to be able to replace a heavy laptop with the light and brilliant iPad would just be fantastic!! Seems like no one else is on board with this idea yet for some reason. Everyone refers me to onOne app and wifi tether via PC. Thats fine in a studio, but I rarely shoot in a studio and i LOVE the display on my iPad for viewing photos. If there are any developers reading this PLEASE... wired tether to DSLR app PLEASE... If i knew how to do it I would and then I would sell the crap out of it to outdoor photographers like myself!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Seems like no one else is on board with this idea yet for some reason. Everyone refers me to onOne app and wifi tether via PC. Thats fine in a studio, but I rarely shoot in a studio and i LOVE the display on my iPad for viewing photos. If there are any developers reading this PLEASE... wired tether to DSLR app PLEASE... If i knew how to do it I would and then I would sell the crap out of it to outdoor photographers like myself!

Because it will take more than a developer to make it happen. The necessary serial drivers need to be in place and available as API's for it too work, and I'm pretty sure they are not. Why? Because there are literally dozens of possible app/usb cable possibilities and no one is taking advantage of the potential market. With the number of developers out there that can't be simple oversight.

Apple will have to make it possible before a developer can make it happen.

Any developers out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is one possibility that might work. Bluetooth does supply a serial driver. It may be possible to create an app that uses a USB to bluetooth adaptor for the camera; if the connection is fast enough to support it. A KickStarter project along those lines might have a chance. It would at least test the waters to see if there was enough interest to make a profit.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with wired tethering is apple cut the amount of power to the port with the 4.0.1 update (I think it was that one). I would like to be able to do it as well as the screen on my 40D is way to small to check focus accuracy. I read one article saying you can do it with the CCK but every time you take a photo you will have to hit import to copy it to the camera roll which is time consuming and lame.

jagentis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice to be able to shoot RAW files and see them real-time in the iPad...not in a file folder, et and not via wiFi. If you're out in the filed, and bringing your laptop is too cumbersome and you probably don't have wifi...and don't pay for a phone hotspot or even have a wifi iPad (both expensive). I'll try getting camera connection kit and maybe use it with OnOne software. To be honest, I haven't tried that yet.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jagentis said:
It would be nice to be able to shoot RAW files and see them real-time in the iPad...not in a file folder, et and not via wiFi. If you're out in the filed, and bringing your laptop is too cumbersome and you probably don't have wifi...and don't pay for a phone hotspot or even have a wifi iPad (both expensive). I'll try getting camera connection kit and maybe use it with OnOne software. To be honest, I haven't tried that yet.

The eye-fi card does this. There is an app and card setting for direct wi-fi connecting. It is an SD card.

Most reactions

Latest posts