What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethered Jailbreak for IOS 5

nesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak for iOS 5 iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, iPod touch 3G and iPod touch 4G is out. MuscleNerd has confirmed that the current redsn0w tool can jailbreak iOS 5 tethered not untethered.

Tethered jailbreak means you’ll have to plug in your device to your computer every time it reboots to make a “Just Tethered Boot” from redsn0w.

NOTE: iPad 2 is not supported in this jailbreak. Jailbreak iPad 2 is supposed to be jailbroken within few days along with the iPhone 4S bringing untethered iOS 5 jailbreak.

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I've got iPad 1 jailbroken 4.3.5 tethered I'm pretty sure, can I just DFU mode -> Redsn0w install or do I have to go through all those steps in the "Upgrading Jailbreak" sticky, if so, does that back up app data or no? Don't want to lose my app data (from games and such)

OP
N

nesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotmilk0112 said:
So, I've got iPad 1 jailbroken 4.3.5 tethered I'm pretty sure, can I just DFU mode -> Redsn0w install or do I have to go through all those steps in the "Upgrading Jailbreak" sticky, if so, does that back up app data or no? Don't want to lose my app data (from games and such)

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. No links to external blogs. We have perfectly good resources for this here.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
N

nesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotmilk0112 said:

But remember it's tethered jailbreak. Therefore you need to connect to the iTunes each time you reboot your iDevice

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is....that a yes? I know how to use Redsn0w and such, I just don't know how to upgrade from jailbroken 4.3.5 to jailbroken 5.0, and whether or not I can backup my app data if I need to restore to official iOS then upgrade back to jailbreak.

OP
N

nesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotmilk0112 said:
Is....that a yes? I know how to use Redsn0w and such, I just don't know how to upgrade from jailbroken 4.3.5 to jailbroken 5.0, and whether or not I can backup my app data if I need to restore to official iOS then upgrade back to jailbreak.

Well I not pretty sure about the backup thingy but I am sure there must be some sort of application in cydia...

OP
N

nesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotmilk0112 said:
Well, I found "AppBackup" on Cydia, but whenever I try to install it, it gives me this error:

http://i54.tinypic.com/s62gk1.png

No idea what this means or how to fix it...

It look like one off your file is corrupted. Therefore you have to fix it manually and I am not sure on how to fix it manually...What are the files which you want to backup???...

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty much all of my app data (from games and such). Can I do that manually? Like, can I just browse the iPad's files with the SSH thing, find app data and copy it to my computer, then copy it back to the iPad after restoring?

OP
N

nesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotmilk0112 said:
Pretty much all of my app data (from games and such). Can I do that manually? Like, can I just browse the iPad's files with the SSH thing, find app data and copy it to my computer, then copy it back to the iPad after restoring?

Hmmmmm.....well I can't say yes or no but try browsing the web...you might get some clue

Most reactions

Latest posts