What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Templates

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was just wondering if Pages on iPad has various templates like Microsoft. I would very much like to create a questionnaire on my iPad. Are there any worthwhile apps that are available to create questionnaires?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages comes with 16 built in templates.

You can't really create your own, but the workaround is easy and does the job. If you create a pages document and export it to iTunes, iDisk, or webDAV (can be made to work with DropBox), you can reimport as many copies as you want.

While the webDAV(DropBox) and iDisk solutions require you to have an internet connection, when you export to iTunes it stays on you iPad unless you go to iTunes on the computer and remove it.

If all you are looking for is a questionnaire or poll type applications you should search for them in the App Store. I believe there are several that may work better for you than cobbling something together in Pages.

If you don't like any of them I recommend Numbers as a better way to set up a check/mark or choose the answer type questionnaire. Pages will work better if you need to type more flexible answers.

teecamo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look into Pages, it comes with some default templates that you will be able to use.

meta4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought Pages, can no longer find the templates on the documents page. Can I delete the app and reinstall it without buying it again? Not worried about losing any docs. Never had a problem with an app before.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you purchase an app you can delete and reinstall from the same iTunes account, no problem.

-t

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You won't see the templates until you start to create a new document. Tap the + when viewing the document list. There will be an option to Create Document. Choose this and you will be presented with the usual 16 templates.

If you are not seeing the templates try these remedies before deleting and reinstalling the app.

Double tap on the home button, tap and hold on any icon in the multitask bar that appears. When they juggle tap the minus sign on the Pages app. This closes it out and makes sure it starts from scratch the next time you launch. Otherwise it will (probably) attempt to start where you left off last time.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that does not work:

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

And if that does not work, then yes, delete and reinstall the app. You will not be charged again (as long as you use the same account).

meta4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. The create document tip worked. Looks like I've got a lot to learn!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. The create document tip worked. Looks like I've got a lot to learn!

All the iWorks apps were updated a few months ago. It might be worth your while to visit the app help pages and brows around, and re-introduce yourself to what and where things are.

For instance, exporting and printing are now done under the wrench icon; with the document open. And you can create folders for your documents now.

http://help.apple.com/pages/ipad/1.4/

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem with Pages templates is when you use the most often discussed way of creating "Templates" you do not actually create a template; rather, you create a new
document based on a template and then reuse it as you see fit.

I have been looking for simple ways to create Pages templates that can be installed in Pages so they are available when you decide to create a new document. When you take a look at the template files Pages installs, each template is composed of dozens of files and folders.

Very complicated compared to a Word Template where everything is contained in a single document. A template file and a Word document are very different things.

I would love to be able to create several tempates that Pages recognizes as such, but for now, it is only a dream.

Most reactions

Latest posts