What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperature and Calendar Apps

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'M looking for an app that shows the date and the outside temperature. I want it to show both these on the icon so I can see it at a glance.
Are there any?
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid the only app I know of that can show the date on the icon is the stock Calendar app.

For temperature, may I suggest you look at the Fahrenheit app, which you can get free or this one for $.99, USD (link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fahrenheit-weather-temperature/id426939660?mt=8).

I've never seen an app with both a date and temperature (to show) ability. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but I've never seen it.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Only Apple has the ability to create an icon that changes, and even then they have only done so for a couple apps that are included in iOS; the native Clock and Calendar apps. Developers are not given the tools to create this kind of icon.

The Fahrenheit and Celsius apps mentioned don't actually change the icon. They use a notifications badge, normally used to let you know how many messages, alerts, or other supposedly important things an app has waiting for your attention. You can only have one notification badge on an icon, and it can only be a number.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you have Weather turned on in Settings > Privacy > Location Services you can pull down the Notification center and it should show you the time, date, and the current weather conditions, in the Today tab. Depending on your Notification Center settings you can do this from almost any screen on the iPad.

The Weather data may take a while to start showing up.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying for me, twerppoet. Didn't even notice I forgot to mention that the non-stock apps used the badging system ... I knew that! :)

Good reminder on the notification system, too. In fact, that's what I use most of the time to keep track of the temperature (and time if I'm in an app that hides the status bar).

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you have Weather turned on in Settings > Privacy > Location Services you can pull down the Notification center and it should show you the time, date, and the current weather conditions, in the Today tab. Depending on your Notification Center settings you can do this from almost any screen on the iPad.....

Thanks TP - just gave that a try (Weather was not turned on, so works as described) - but on my first 'Home Page' Calendar is @ the bottom & Fahrenheit in the Dock, so can see both immediately - guess that there are a lot of ways to 'skin a cat'? Dave :D

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks TP - just gave that a try (Weather was not turned on, so works as described) - but on my first 'Home Page' Calendar is @ the bottom & Fahrenheit in the Dock, so can see both immediately - guess that there are a lot of ways to 'skin a cat'? Dave :D

You lost me? "Home page" calendar? Can you explain.

Most reactions