Technical Book Authors

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by Heaviside, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I am a retired electrical engineering professor and would like to circumvent the conventional "establishment" technical book publishers.

On the other hand, I would like reasonable compensation for my time and effort.

I have a number of ideas of how to explain certain topics in math, physics, and engineering in a more "learner friendly" way. It seems to me that the ebook format has potential, but I don't know anything about the process.

Is there anyone else here with similar objectives? Any ideas and/or advice ?

Thanks!
  2. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    That's an excellent idea! Self-published eBooks has sprouted a whole cottage industry. I know Amazon has a entire area dedicated to self-published ebooks.

Just use the Google search (upper right-hand corner of every page) and type in "self publish ebook" or something along those lines and you'll get all sorts of information, apps, etc.

We had a story about something similar in the iPF News just the other day...

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...our-photos-ebooks-only-1-99-a.html#post347971

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!
  3. emm

emm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You might try Inkling. Vook is also an outlet, but they publish too much junk for my taste.
  4. bonzoboy

bonzoboy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think there are a lot of potential authors in a similar position. Let me know what you discover!
  5. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    There is a free book on the iBooks Store called "iPad Publishing Guide", it's definitely worth a look.

The Archangel
  6. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Good info, folks.

Just for the record, I have discovered that you can make nice looking equations with MathType and Pages, then export from Pages to epub format. Apple has a nice free template and instructions for producing epub books on their website.

As a recent returner to the Mac world, I am having to learn Pages after being immersed for so long in MS Word. It takes a while to unlearn all those keyboard shortcuts that took me so long to acquire that my first book will prabably take a while, but I think Pages is the right route.

Any other opinions or advice?