1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Technical Book Authors

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by Heaviside, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I am a retired electrical engineering professor and would like to circumvent the conventional "establishment" technical book publishers.

On the other hand, I would like reasonable compensation for my time and effort.

I have a number of ideas of how to explain certain topics in math, physics, and engineering in a more "learner friendly" way. It seems to me that the ebook format has potential, but I don't know anything about the process.

Is there anyone else here with similar objectives? Any ideas and/or advice ?

Thanks!
  2. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    That's an excellent idea! Self-published eBooks has sprouted a whole cottage industry. I know Amazon has a entire area dedicated to self-published ebooks.

Just use the Google search (upper right-hand corner of every page) and type in "self publish ebook" or something along those lines and you'll get all sorts of information, apps, etc.

We had a story about something similar in the iPF News just the other day...

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...our-photos-ebooks-only-1-99-a.html#post347971

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!
  3. emm

emm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You might try Inkling. Vook is also an outlet, but they publish too much junk for my taste.
  4. bonzoboy

bonzoboy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think there are a lot of potential authors in a similar position. Let me know what you discover!
  5. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    There is a free book on the iBooks Store called "iPad Publishing Guide", it's definitely worth a look.

The Archangel
  6. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Good info, folks.

Just for the record, I have discovered that you can make nice looking equations with MathType and Pages, then export from Pages to epub format. Apple has a nice free template and instructions for producing epub books on their website.

As a recent returner to the Mac world, I am having to learn Pages after being immersed for so long in MS Word. It takes a while to unlearn all those keyboard shortcuts that took me so long to acquire that my first book will prabably take a while, but I think Pages is the right route.

Any other opinions or advice?