What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TechCrunch: "Xoom stinks. Unstable, buggy, crashes.. not recommended."

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OS is a buggy confusing mess. Within 15 minutes of playing with the device, I had 4 apps crashed on me. The browser took me to mobile sites instead of the full websites for some strange reason. Gee, why does it default to mobile sites when it has a large 10.1' screen?

One of the things I thought would be improved with Honeycomb OS is the lag and choppiness when moving from screen to screen. I was surprised to see Xoom having the same problem with choppiness, especially with its beefed-up specs (gig ram, dual-core etc). iOS is just so much more optimized that you don't experience such problems.
DaveWorld

Video:
OMG/JK: A Kiss For iPad 2, A Slap For Xoom

Ouch!

b1u3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not ready for primetime

After an hour of crashes, mostly resulting in full reboot, despite being entirely stock, right out of the box (i.e. no extra apps installed) I give up. Will be returning in the morning.

I'm very much looking forwarding to an android device to rival the iPad 2 (or even the orginal iPad).

Sadly, unless I happen to have a bad unit, the Xoom wifi is not it.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After an hour of crashes, mostly resulting in full reboot, despite being entirely stock, right out of the box (i.e. no extra apps installed) I give up. Will be returning in the morning.

I'm very much looking forwarding to an android device to rival the iPad 2 (or even the orginal iPad).

Sadly, unless I happen to have a bad unit, the Xoom wifi is not it.

This specifically.

I was the same as you. I hated apples want to lock you out of key features (root access, customization, third party software) so I wanted a good android tablet. I bought my first ipad 3 days after launch because I wanted to play with it first before buying it. After playing with it for 15 minutes at work, I had to have one. I went out and bought one that day.

I got bored with the ipad after a while. The novelty wore off completely and I sold it because I was going to get the Galaxy Tab. I thought "Yea this thing looks bad ass, total ipad killer."... wrong. This thing was such a pos that I didn't even walk out of the store with it. I ended up buying another ipad (for cheaper than I sold my first one for) to hold me off until the next big tablet came out.

Fast forward to the Xoom. I wanted it. when I first heard about it, I wanted to get one. I was sold on it because I have the Droid X and it's also made by Motorola and it's great. Very solid phone, good hardware, good software, the Xoom has to be good right? Well this was before the ipad2 was announced. The day the ipad2 was announced I no longer wanted the Xoom. Android tablets are so far behind right now that they aren't going to gain any ground if they keep making sub par products for ridiculous prices.

TL;DR
I'm an ex-android fanboi that wanted an android tablet to compete with the ipad that has come to the realization that apple is top dog and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I've lost almost all faith in android.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Trky said:
This specifically.

I was the same as you. I hated apples want to lock you out of key features (root access, customization, third party software) so I wanted a good android tablet. I bought my first ipad 3 days after launch because I wanted to play with it first before buying it. After playing with it for 15 minutes at work, I had to have one. I went out and bought one that day.

I got bored with the ipad after a while. The novelty wore off completely and I sold it because I was going to get the Galaxy Tab. I thought "Yea this thing looks bad ass, total ipad killer."... wrong. This thing was such a pos that I didn't even walk out of the store with it. I ended up buying another ipad (for cheaper than I sold my first one for) to hold me off until the next big tablet came out.

Fast forward to the Xoom. I wanted it. when I first heard about it, I wanted to get one. I was sold on it because I have the Droid X and it's also made by Motorola and it's great. Very solid phone, good hardware, good software, the Xoom has to be good right? Well this was before the ipad2 was announced. The day the ipad2 was announced I no longer wanted the Xoom. Android tablets are so far behind right now that they aren't going to gain any ground if they keep making sub par products for ridiculous prices.

TL;DR
I'm an ex-android fanboi that wanted an android tablet to compete with the ipad that has come to the realization that apple is top dog and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I've lost almost all faith in android.

I've had my hands on both the Xoom and the Tab. I love Android...on a phone (I have an EVO 4G). On a tablet, it's rather disappointing. I agree with your observations. These really are products that have so much potential but they clearly lack the innovation of the iPad.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Saw that vid when it first came out. I know siegler's a fanboy but his host was clearly pissed with the xoom. Think I would've been too.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I loved Andy Ihnatko's description...
"The Xoom tablet is trim, light, and very pretty ... but when you place it next to the iPad 2, it looks as though it was designed and built by angry Soviet prison labor instead of by Motorola."

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hasty said:
I loved Andy Ihnatko's description...
"The Xoom tablet is trim, light, and very pretty ... but when you place it next to the iPad 2, it looks as though it was designed and built by angry Soviet prison labor instead of by Motorola."

Priceless!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts