Teaching iPad to spell words correctly.

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by baxlobs, Oct 17, 2012.

1. baxlobs

baxlobs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, my wife is very happy with her iPad once she started to use the Dictation mode. She never learnt to type so found that a big problem.

However it constantly misspells my name. She dictates Leigh, but always gets Lee. (I know they sound the same :) )

Is there any way (other than manually correcting) that the iPad can be taught the proper spelling?

Thanks
  2. Totallylagit

Totallylagit iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you spell it and it tries to correct, click the x and it will leave the word alone. I've found doing that a few times, the iPad learns. That is my dealings with that
  3. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    I heard that the iPad will default to names that are in your contact list. I assume you would already be in your wife's list, though? Just a thought.
  4. Redhotpoker

Redhotpoker iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Hi Kevin,
    Another plus for this iOS6, Deleting an old email address' which doesn't have a name included can now be removed with ease.
    I used to respond to Kijiji ads for my RC hobbies, and found that when sending regular email to a friend from my new iPad 3, that many of these old address's would show up in the contact list, even though they weren't saved by me. Yes they will eventually disappear from the buffer, but now you can highlight an addy and delete it permanently.

Apple does listen to our requests, so unlike Microsoft, they really seem to care about our needs with Apple products.
    Ah, if I had only known about the high quality of Apple, I'd have abandoned Bill Gates system's several years ago.

Chas
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I tried using the short cut feature under Keyboard. But it doesn't seem to work with dictation. It works when typing, though. For example, she could type "hubby" and it would subsitute "Leigh" for that. But if you say "hubby" it won't follow through with the substitution.
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 1
    When she says Leigh, and it shows Lee, if there is a blue underline try tapping the word. It may offer Leigh as an alternative. Choose it often enough and Siri should learn that's what she wants.

I'm less sure about this part, but even if the alternative you want is not there, select and type in the correct word. This is supped to help Siri learn; but I'm not sure if it works in Dictation.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  7. baxlobs

baxlobs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will get her to try them out and see if any help.